This is the TDMST Weekly Round-Up of news affecting professional truck drivers, written by Vicki Simons for the week ending October 31, 2020.
We welcome your comments, thoughts and feedback on the items of your choice below.
1. Regarding Daylight Saving Time and HOS:
According to this article, “Daylight Saving Time (DST) is the practice of setting the clocks forward one hour from standard time during the summer months, and back again in the fall, in order to make better use of natural daylight.”
Although the observance has changed over the years, in the USA, DST:
- starts on the 2nd Sunday in March and
- ends on the 1st Sunday in November.
According to this article:
- “The current schedule was introduced in 2007 and follows the Energy Policy Act of 2005”; and
- “According to section 110 of the act, the US Department of Transportation (DOT) governs the use of DST. The law does not affect the rights of the states and territories that choose not to observe DST.”
Daylight Saving Time ends on Sunday, November 1, so make sure your clock and alarm are set to the right times.
Many computers, cell phones, atomic clocks, and other electronic devices may auto-adjust from standard time to Daylight Saving Time or back.
If any of your devices do not auto-adjust, remember:
“spring forward, fall back.”
Hours of Service
These are some of the most recent articles about the federal Hours of Service regulations:
- Are you taking advantage of hours of service changes?
- HOS pilot program would allow drivers to pause the clock
- Shippers urge feds to consider 14-hour driving rule change
- The Daily Dash: Shippers want 14-hour clock change; driver shortage still the top industry concern
2. Regarding ATRI’s 2020 Top 10 lists:
The American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI) revealed the Top 10 trucking industry issues for 2020 from both motor carriers and truckers.
- ATRI survey reveals disconnect between truckers, fleets
- ATRI: Driver shortage again tops trucking industry’s critical issues
- ATRI: Driver shortage is still No.1 issue
- ATRI’s Top 10 Trucking Industry Issues recap for fleets
- Controversial topic at #1 slot in yearly list of top 10 concerns in trucking
- Driver shortage tops ATRI’s 2020 list of top trucking industry issues for motor carriers; insurance makes lists for first time since 2005
- Drivers, carriers differ on most important trucking issues
- Drivers, Parking, Insurance Top Issues of Concern for Trucking
- Parking, ELDs among top trucking concerns for drivers
3. Regarding accidents and truck operations:
Please observe how preventable these accidents were and endeavor never to repeat them.
- FMCSA orders truck driver out of service after illegal U-turn and hit-and-run kills two
- Georgia police share dash cam video of crash that led to truck driver’s DUI charge
- National Traffic Safety Board discusses driver fatigue
- Truck driver reflects on how 8 seconds browsing Zillow app ended a man’s life in haunting new video
- Roundabouts can save lives but can also cause confusion if not navigated correctly
- Trucker admits he tried to sneak a hazmat load into Eisenhower Tunnel
- Paccar on hook for $9.5M in defective hood latch case
- Volvo VNL trucks being recalled for issue with sleeper bunk window
4. Regarding autonomous trucks:
As a courtesy to help keep you informed, here are some of the most recent articles about autonomous trucks.
- Another on-highway autonomous truck test completed
- Auto executives, business leaders to propose modernized transport policies
- CCJ Daily Dispatch, Oct. 29: Autonomous trucking firm Locomation completes on-highway pilot program
- Daimler and Waymo to partner on autonomous trucks
- Daimler Partners with Lidar Company on Autonomous-Truck Development
- Daimler Trucks, Waymo announce plans to create Level 4 autonomous Freightliner Cascadia
- Daimler Trucks, Waymo Team up to Tackle Autonomous Trucking
- Daimler, Waymo joining forces to build autonomous Freightliner Cascadia
- Freightliner and Waymo partner for autonomous Cascadia
- Locomation Uses Automated Platoon for Food Bank Deliveries
- Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania conduct automated truck platooning demo, deliver donations to local food banks
- TuSimple teams with Hillwood on Texas logistics hub
- Waymo and Daimler Forge Self-Driving Truck Alliance
- Waymo teams up with Daimler to produce self-driving Freightliner Cascadias ‘in the coming years’
5. Regarding pay, brokers, economy, tolls:
- Don’t let road expenses eat away at your take-home pay
- Managing your income tax bill to improve outcomes
- Texas carrier raises driver pay to show its appreciation
- Broker listening session attracts comments from truckers and brokers
- Broker transparency petition needs more comments from truckers
- Brokers, carriers at loggerheads over transparency regs
- Don’t wait: A new blueprint for brokerage success in the digital age
- FMCSA’s brokered freight transaction transparency session
- These Brokers Don’t Think They Should Have To Tell You What They’re Getting Paid. Ever.
- Trends, Issues Affecting Brokers and 3PLs
- August cross-border freight suggests continued economic rebound
- E-commerce explodes into holiday shipping season
- Reefer outpacing van growth in second half of 2020
- September’s net trailer orders third-highest in history, ACT report shows
- Spot freight activity slows as load posts decrease, DAT reports
- Truck arrivals up for fourth week in a row
- U.S. trucking industry ‘answered the call’ in 2020, says ATA’s Spear
- Will this be a record-setting season for carriers?
- Bay Area bridge tolls head to California’s Supreme Court
- Court rules R.I. Gov. Raimondo must testify in toll lawsuit
- Rhode Island truck-only tolls a key battleground going into 2021: ATA’s Spear
6. Regarding one’s trucking career and becoming an owner-operator:
- Tips for growing a fleet from Small Fleet Champ finalists
- Tying up loose ends: Knowledge is the key to making a successful career move
- Feds’ look to define what makes an owner-operator
7. Regarding electric trucks, emissions, and fuel:
- Electrify America Launches B2B Charging Solutions
- Ford to Preview Electrification at Fleet Forward Experience
- The future of zero-emissions trucks
- Natural gas truck sales down 15%
- Study: Comprehensive Alt-Fuel Approach Better Than Single Technology Focus
8. Regarding FMCSA and politics:
- Senator writes scathing letter to FMCSA for ‘egregious failures’ amid rising truck fatality rates
- US senator demands answers from FMCSA on truck crashes
The General Election is coming up on Tuesday, November 3.
9. Regarding Brake Safety Week, inspections and tires:
Brake Safety Week
- 12% of inspected commercial vehicles placed out of service during 2020 Brake Safety Week
- 14% out of service during Brake Safety Week
- Brake Safety Week Places More than 5,000 Trucks Out of Service
- Brake Safety Week sidelined more than 5,000 trucks
- Brake Week: 13% of vehicles inspected in U.S. placed out of service
- Inspectors took 5,156 trucks off the road during brake blitz
- Omnitracs, EROAD help rewrite inspection guidelines for ELDs
- State and local cops find 134 violations during CMV crackdown
- Truck driver caught ‘throwing sparks and rubber debris’ for seven miles
10. Regarding technology, Canada’s ELD policy, and testing:
- Blockchain’s compelling case in bringing trust, visibility into supply chain transactions
- Dash cam reportedly shows motorist robbing trucker at gunpoint
- Mack Offering FlowBelow as Factory Option
- Mapping company wants to pay drivers to use their dash cameras
- Truck drivers: Get paid to build global mapping network
- Verizon Connect Launches Enhanced Driver-Facing Dashcam Solution
Canada’s ELD policy
Do you remember the angst associated with the FMCSA allowing ELD manufacturers to “self-certify” their products?
Well, an October 26, 2020, article states that Transport Canada Names First ELD Certification Body, “to help ensure the devices are not prone to tampering.”
In other words, Canada completely outshines the USA regarding ELD certification!
FMCSA, are you listening? This is what you should have done!
- CCJ Daily Dispatch, Oct. 30: TSA extends hazmat endorsement renewal waiver through year’s end
- Don’t get wrapped up in drug test confusion
- Testing compliance made simple
11. Regarding violence and weather:
- Lawmaker says charges against trucker swarmed by protesters are ‘disgusting’
- Truck swarmed and looted following World Series celebration in terrifying video
Weather and winter
- 10 tips to keep you safe as you drive through winter
- 5 winter storm survival items every truck should have
- Storm chaser: ‘Surprising how many semis tried to push their luck’ during Hurricane Zeta
- The Essential Winter Checklist for Truckers
- These 10 driving fails will make you dread winter
- Winter’s almost here. Do you know how to use the new Adverse Driving Conditions Exception?
- Worst weather states for truckers: Part 2
We honor those who deserve honor:
- 3 receive annual Mike Russell Trucking Image Award
- Troopers say truck driver heard Amber Alert, helped to get two abducted children home safe
My husband Mike and I wish you — and all professional truck drivers — safe travels and lots of money saving opportunities on the road.