This is the TDMST Weekly Round-Up of news affecting professional truck drivers, written by Vicki Simons for the week ending January 15, 2022.
We welcome your comments, thoughts and feedback on the items of your choice below.
1. Regarding COVID-19, border, ports, and supply chain:
There are many non-chronological articles below about OSHA; the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision regarding OSHA and vaccinations; the vax situation in Canada and regarding the US/Canada border; and much more. Please remember that although having a job is important, your health is more important and once pushed into your body, a jab can never fully be undone.
- Biden ‘Disappointed’ as Trucking Cheers ‘Tremendous Victory’ in Vax-or-Test Mandate Case
- Biden vax mandate doesn’t apply to most solo truckers, but will apply to teams: OSHA
- Border-crossing truck drivers told to download ArriveCAN app
- BREAKING NEWS: Border-crossing Canadian truck drivers won’t face quarantines, testing under vaccine mandate
- Canada Alters Upcoming COVID-19 Vax Mandate For Cross-Border Truckers
- Canada pumps the brakes on COVID restrictions for its truckers
- Canada to begin enforcing COVID vaccine mandate for truckers Jan. 15
- Canada to Turn Away Unvaccinated Truck Drivers at Border
- Canada’s cross-border truck drivers to face vaccine mandate … again
- Canadian truck driver vacancies surge to record levels: Report
- Canadian vaccination mandate exempts truckers re-entering the country
- Conservative justices appear leery of OSHA vaccine rule
- COVID dominoes fall in China; air and sea shipments delayed
- COVID vaccine required for cross-border truck drivers entering Canada beginning Jan. 15
- COVID-19 likely to continue affecting global supply chain
- Cross-Border Trucking Businesses Brace For Impact as Warnings Over New Vax Rules Go Unheeded
- Cross-border vaccine mandate for truckers still a go, Canada says
- CTA calls for ArriveCAN alternative to prove truck driver vaccine status
- Despite Conflicting Reports, Canada’s Vax Mandate for Cross-Border Truckers ‘Has Not Changed’
- Group says 12,000 truck drivers will quit when Canadian cross-border vax mandate goes into effect Saturday
- ‘Hard to Predict’ What SCOTUS Will Do After Hearing Trucking’s Case to Block Biden’s Vax Mandate
- Headed to Canada? It begins enforcing COVID vaccine mandate for truckers Saturday
- Omicron to disrupt labor for vehicle, parts manufacturers
- Omicron to keep freight markets “tighter for longer”: ACT Research
- OSHA clarifies how vaccine mandate applies to truck drivers
- OSHA Clarifies Which Truckers Are Exempt From COVID-19 Shot-Or-Test Mandate
- OSHA clarifies: Solo truck drivers don’t fall under Biden vaccine mandate
- OSHA: Some in trucking industry exempt from vaccine mandate, others aren’t
- OSHA: Some Truck Drivers Exempt from COVID-19 Vaccine-or-Test Mandate
- Rising Concern Over Omicron Forces Cancelation of Truck Show Set For Next Month
- SCOTUS Blocks Biden’s Vax Mandate Delivering Victory to Trucking Stakeholders
- SCOTUS set to hear vaccine mandate arguments Friday
- Supreme Court blocks COVID vaccine mandate for large businesses
- Supreme Court decision on vaccine mandate’s fate expected soon
- Supreme Court Halts COVID-19 Vaccine Rule for Large US Businesses
- Supreme Court halts COVID-19 vaccine rule for US businesses, trucking industry declares victory
- Supreme Court nixes vaccine mandate for large employers
- Supreme Court Stays OSHA Vaccine-or-Test Mandate
- Supreme Court Weighs Vaccine Rules
- Tougher Vaccine Requirements Poised to Take Effect at Canada Border
- Truck drivers paying price for border vaccine confusion
- Trucking Industry in Limbo as SCOTUS Remains Silent on Vax Mandate Case
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks vax rules for large employers
- U.S. Supreme Court rejects OSHA vaccine rule
- U.S. truck drivers largely exempt from vaccine, testing rules for large businesses
- Unvaccinated Canadian truckers won’t be exempt from COVID-19 measures at border
- Unvaccinated Canadian truckers won’t face extra COVID-19 rules after returning from US
- Unvaccinated cross-border truck drivers face quarantines and screening Jan. 15
- Upcoming vaccination, quarantine requirement dropped for Canadian truckers re-entering the country
- Port of Los Angeles Defers Empty Container Fee
- Shanghai Woes: Congestion Grows at World’s Biggest Port
- Unifor warns of chaos at Vancouver port
- Imports take ‘dramatically longer’ to reach US as bottlenecks bite
- Supply Chain Bottlenecks to Slow Global Growth
- Supply Chain Snags, Quarantines Hurt Global Air Cargo Growth
- Workforce Key to Easing Supply Chain Crunch, Buttigieg Says
2. Regarding accidents, missed exit, low clearance, pressure, roads, and tires:
Please review these accidents and seek to avoid getting into a situation where one could happen.
- Sun glare blamed for Tennessee fatality involving semiSun glare can be reduced by wearing polarized sunglasses.
- Truck Driver Ignores Road Closure Signs and Ends Up Buried In Snow, Officials SayNever ignore roads signs!
- VIDEO: Inattentive driver just smashes through parked carDon’t get distracted!
- VIDEO: This is the definition of a bad day for a log truck driverThis is a non-trucker unloading accident!
- Washington DOT calls out trucker for ignoring road closureThere’s a reason for why roads get closed — so that you don’t end up in trouble.
Never back up on a highway where traffic is going forward, unless you have law enforcement directing you to do so!
- Trucker arrested after allegedly missing exit and backing up on highway, causing fatal crash
- Trucker Charged in Deadly Crash After Police Say He Missed Exit Then Backed Up on Highway
Do not rely upon a non-motor-carrier-specific GPS unit!
- Loaded and Rolling: Driver recruiting and supply chain pressures
- Number of truck crash fatalities “going to get worse before it gets better,” experts warnQuote: “Fatal truck crashes increased nationwide in 2021, and some industry experts say that supply chain pressures are to blame.”
- Truck safety expert: Surge in big rig wrecks related to supply chain pressuresQuote: “Fort Worth attorney Seth D. McCloskey of the Law Offices of Steven Laird PC attributes the surge in commercial truck accidents across the country on supply chain pressures created by the COVID-19 pandemic and the way, he claims, that the major trucking companies have ‘mishandled the worker shortage.'”
- Biden Launches Program to Fix 15,000 Bridges
- Bill would force truckers to stay in the right lane in snowy weather in Virginia
- FreightWaves Classics/Infrastructure: I-35 serves the American heartland
- I-10 closed for hours at Mississippi, Louisiana line
- I-10 reopened at Louisiana state line after damaging car-hauler fire
- I-4 Express lanes in Florida to open soon
- Interstate 5 reopens after deadly northwest flooding
- Left lane restriction for trucks pursued in Virginia
- Massachusetts bridge named after 7 generals to open this week
- Washington officials reopen I-5
- Westbound I-70 into Kansas City remains closed until further notice following deadly fire at homeless camp
- Weigh Station sensors now monitor the condition of your tires on I-81Quote: “The Tire Anomaly and Classification System (TACS) is a series of sensors set up at weigh stations that identify flat, mismatched, or underinflated tires on tractor trailers traveling the interstate.”
3. Regarding weather, chains, age, and training:
There are many articles below about the ever-changing weather across the USA and other areas. Before you head out, please remember to determine whether or not it is safe to drive. Your trucking company cannot force you to drive.
- Drivers going 60mph on ice “is not OK,” officials lament after triple rig jackknife
- Eastern US braces for strong weekend winter storm
- Georgia Law Enforcement Cracking Down on Truckers Ahead of Winter Storm
- Georgia preps for winter weather with CMV ‘pull-ins’
- Historic floods ‘hammered’ British Columbia’s trucking industry
- Hot Shots: Whiteouts, floods, icy roads and more
- Lake-effect snowstorms slamming Midwest, Northeast
- Major winter storm aiming for central, eastern US
- Pacific Northwest storm causes flooding, closes interstates
- Quick-hitting snowstorm headed to Midwest
- Saskatchewan screamer’ winter storm could make travel difficult
- Snow and ice continue to cause trouble for truckers, others on the road
- Truckers to face icy roads in Pacific Northwest
- US Shoppers Find Some Groceries Scarce Due to Virus, Weather
- Washington DOT urges truck drivers to slow down in icy conditions
- Winter weather, supply issues spur emergency declarations
If you put chains on your truck’s tires, remember to take them off in a timely manner.
- CHP Blasts Drivers For Leaving ‘Mountain of Chains’ Strewn Along Snowy Roadways
- Drivers left behind a ‘mountain of chains,’ CHP says
Based on well-known insurance rates, I totally disagree with lowering the age at which people can get a Commercial Drivers License (CDL).
- FMCSA asks for ’emergency approval’ to fast track under-21 trucker pilot program
- FMCSA begins process to launch under-21 apprenticeship pilot program
- FMCSA Sets Up Apprenticeship for Young Drivers
- FMCSA Takes Steps to Expedite Apprentice Driver Pilot Program
- FMCSA to Allow 1,000 Motor Carriers to Participate in New Teen Trucker Program
- Wednesday, Jan. 12 is deadline to comment on 18-20-year-old driver program
- Younger Driver Pilot Program: DOT Takes First Steps
4. Regarding sentencing, mountains, operations, securement, and violation:
More news has been released about this situation.
- Aguilera-Mederos had driven in mountains before 2019 I-70 crash
- I-70 Crash Lawyer Says Trucker Took CDL Test in Spanish, Had No Mountain Driving Training
- Newly Released Video Shows Terrifying Moments Leading to Fiery I-70 Crash
- Video shows victims’ family members vehemently against Gov’s reduction of 110 year sentence
I totally disagree with having and showing a revengeful attitude on the road!
Before you close your trailer’s doors, make sure any load locks in the trailer are securely in place. If you do not have load locks or need extra security, use straps to secure your load.
5. Regarding top news and predictions:
6. Regarding autonomous vehicles, electric vehicles, fuel, EPA:
I 100% oppose autonomous, driverless, or self-driving vehicles on the road with the motoring public, but share these articles to help you stay current on the topic.
- Autonomous Truck Company Torc to Open Hub in Texas
- Deere Expects ‘Slow’ Rollout of Autonomous Tractors
- Embark to Develop Autonomous Truck Tech to Navigate Snow
- J.B. Hunt announces partnership with Waymo Via
- J.B. Hunt, Waymo Form Long-Term Alliance on Autonomous Trucking
- JB Hunt eyes autonomous truck runs with Waymo Via
- Self-driving vehicles topic of Pennsylvania bill
- Serve Robotics achieves autonomous robo-delivery milestone
If you drive an electric truck and have had an issue with getting it charged when you needed a recharge, would you please contact me through the form below in order to let me know exactly what happened? Thanks.
- California Gov. Newsom’s Spending Plan Includes $10B for EVs
- Driving Kenworth’s Electric Trucks
- Kenworth rolls out battery-electric, fuel-cell-electric trucks for demonstrations
- Kenworth Sees Electric Truck Interest Grow Rapidly
- Kenworth Shows off Electric Trucks
- PepsiCo set to take delivery of Tesla tractors
- SuperTruck II efficiency efforts could boost range for electric trucks
- Tennessee-Based Carrier to Add 40 Nikola Tre Fuel-Cell-Electric Trucks
- Volvo Trucks debuts enhanced range electric VNR
- Volvo Trucks Opens Orders for Next Generation VNR Electric
- Benchmark DOE diesel price reverses course, heads higher
- Cyclum to Construct Network of Renewable Fuel Truck StopsThis sounds interesting. However, I wonder: “If natural gas is renewable — and it is supposedly a ‘fossil fuel’ — then why aren’t petroleum products renewable?” Hmm…
- Diesel Climbs 4.4¢ to $3.657 a Gallon
- Diesel Markets Are Soaring All Over the World
- EIA expects record production
- Hyzon Motors tips to lower-than-expected fuel cell truck revenue
- Streak of lower diesel prices ends at seven weeks
7. Regarding pay, tolls, technology, alerts, rates, recalls, and repair
Regarding the first two articles below, I’m glad that someone in an official position within transportation has got at least a partial grasp on this.
- Buttigieg prioritizing truck driver payQuote: “If anything positive has come out of the supply chain crisis, U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg wants truckers to know it is a renewed appreciation for them — and that they should be compensated accordingly.”
- Buttigieg: “There is no cost to wasting a trucker’s time. We’ve got to fix that.”
- Daily Infographic: Lawrence Freight ups driver pay as much as 40%
- Daily Infographic: 6 lessons learned about cybersecurity and freight in 2021
- Driver ‘followed GPS until he lost control,’ police sayIf I was a betting woman, I’d say that the GPS this trucker was using was not specifically for a Commercial Motor Vehicle.
- GPS apps and common sense can help keep drivers out of trouble spots
- Minnesota trucking company hit in 2nd ransomware attack
- New technology looks to multiply logistical efficiencies
- Quality Carriers Switches ELDs for Better Driver Experience
- New Jersey Providing Truckers With New ‘Real Time, In-Cab’ Crash and Congestion Alerts
- New Jersey rolls out real-time traffic alert system for truckers
- Carriers start 2022 with pricing power firmly in their grasps
- Truckload rate increases have done little to improve carrier reliability
- 1,100 Peterbilt and Kenworth Trucks Recalled Due to Faulty Methane Gas Detection System
- Paccar recalling trucks with methane detection issue
- Try, try again: Lighting defect prompts 3rd recall of Freightliner Custom Chassis
- Unsolved Brake Light and Turn Signal Defect Prompts Third Recall of Freightliner Chassis
8. Regarding consumers, delivery, events, and inflation:
- Shifting behaviors: Hybrid shopping, purpose-driven consumers change retail’s outlook
- Surveys: Consumers expect premium experiences when shopping online
- Numerous truck shows, other industry events announce 2022 dates
- Truck show cancelled over COVID concerns
9. Regarding drugs, smuggling, and violence:
Never, ever use drugs classified as narcotics before driving a truck, no matter how good they make you feel. Never, ever haul illegal drugs, no matter how much money you have been promised.
- Roadside inspection results in discovery of $2 million worth of cocaine in sleeper berth
- Study Suggests Cocaine Use More Prevalent than Marijuana Among Truck Drivers
- Trucker busted with $2 million in cocaine in his truck
- Trucker Faces Decades in Prison After Inspection Leads to Discovery of $2 MILLION in Cocaine
- Truckers using cocaine more than marijuana, study finds
Never, ever haul human beings like they are cargo or cattle.
- Dozens of immigrants found stuffed inside tractor cab, sleeper
- U.S. Truck Driver Charged in ‘Crazy’ Big Rig Human Smuggling Bust
Consult with your trucking company to learn how to evade situations that escalate into violence.
- Troopers seek two SUV drivers who boxed in a trucker prior to physical assault
- Two Motorists Force Truck Driver to Side of the Road Before Assaulting Him, Police Say – Transportation Nation Network
10. Regarding economy, employment, and shortage:
- Class 8 Sales in December Climb to High of 2021
- Class 8 truck orders hit 365,000 units last year
- Labor shortages slowing production of new trailers: FTR
- New year brings new all-time high for shipping’s epic traffic jam
- November numbers look promising: Analysts say freight volumes and rates should remain high for a while longer
- Trailer orders fall in 2021 as manufacturers battle omicron, parts shortages
- Trailer Orders Melt in December
- Trailer Orders Soften in December 2021
These listings do not imply an endorsement of any kind.
- Daily Infographic: Walmart to hire 3,000 drivers in major expansion of home delivery services
- Initial Jobless Claims Rise to Highest Since Mid-November
- Trucking job growth hits a snag in December
- US Adds Fewer Jobs Than Forecast; Unemployment Rate Falls
- Is the Trucker Shortage a Long-term Trend?
- Shortage or not, change must occur to bring more drivers to trucking
- XPO tackles labor shortages with multipronged approach
11. Regarding holidays, inspections, and middle mile:
12. Regarding awards, recognition, amazing:
Congratulations to this trucker for his tremendous achievement!
Thank you to everyone who helped others in need.
- ABF Freight System driver recognized for helping at accident scene
- Missouri trucker honored for helping save accident victim
- VIDEO: Pickup pulls semi truck up an icy hill
- Watch this trucker haul the world’s largest cast iron skilletQuote: “The company says that the truck was hauling the largest cast iron skillet in the world. The skillet measures over 18 feet from handle to handle and weighs 14,360 pounds.”
My husband Mike and I wish you — and all professional truck drivers — safe travels and lots of money saving opportunities on the road.