This is the TDMST Weekly Round-Up of news affecting professional truck drivers, written by Vicki Simons for the week ending October 29, 2022.
We welcome your comments, thoughts and feedback on the items of your choice below.
1. Regarding diesel availability, recession, economy, comments, and fees:
I am amazed that trucking publications are not covering this topic as well as other media sources are.
I am hopeful that the situation will be corrected as soon as possible!
Please also see the “supply chain” section below…
- Tucker Carlson: The US is about to run out of diesel fuel
- America Only Has 25 Days Of Diesel Supply Left; Biden Administration Responds
- Diesel Shortage This Winter to Push Fuel Prices Higher, Goldman Warns
- Diesel Shortage Update as Prices Skyrocket Over Fears Supply Could Run Out
- U.S. diesel supplies are dangerously low
- US Diesel Crisis Hits Eastern Seaboard
- Congressman Jason Smith’s post on Facebook
- Congressman Jason Smith’s letter to Mr. Biden
- Log into Facebook, and then go to Facebook Search Results for “diesel fuel”
If this situation concerns you, please call your federal elected officials, whose contact info is here:
This is the first week in quite some time that I’ve seen so many articles about the poor economic conditions in the USA being referred to as a recession (or possible one).
Please prepare yourself and others about whom you care.
- How far from the bottom are we?
- How Would The Predicted Recession Affect Truck Drivers?
- Is your fleet recession-ready? 5 tips to managing a downturn.
- Trucking Positioned to Weather a Recession, Costello Says
- Trucking Urged to Stay the Course in Recession
- U.S., global economies going into a recession ‘early next year’
- Weathering the storm in trucking
The articles in this section address some aspect of the economy from the trucking industry’s perspective.
- ACT Research: Class 8 Tractor Dashboard drops 5th time in 6 months
- ACT Research: Volume, productivity, supply-demand balance all down in September
- Amazon’s shares punished as 3rd-quarter results come in light
- ATA: Truck Tonnage Rose Less Than 1% in September
- Auto Prices Finally Begin to Creep Down from Inflated Highs
- Buttigieg Promotes Trucking’s Economic Contributions
- Carriers get their freight frights just in time
- Canadian spot market drops 7% in September: Loadlink
- Did US slash imports too much, setting stage for shipping rebound?
- Family Business Leader Says Trucking Central to Economy’s Success
- For freight companies, this year’s peak will be weak
- FTR’s Trucking Conditions returned to nearly neutral in August
- October sees freight rates rise as number of available loads dropped
- Old Dominion says volume weakness could clear by spring
- Paccar continues to soar, sees only good times ahead
- Shipping rates are no longer plunging. Is ‘new normal’ near?
- Trucking conditions steady, but small carriers at greater risk: FTR
- Trucking profitability likely to buoy new Class 8 trucks sales into 2023
- US Economy Returned to Growth Last Quarter, Expanding 2.6%
- Used Class 8 Market Softens More in September
- Used Class 8 retail sales drop 12% in September
- Used truck prices help Ryder year on year, but declines cloud forecast
- Why This Economic Cycle is Different for Trucking
As much as some truckers — and others — like to grumble on social media about things adversely affecting the trucking industry, it does no good if we’re not expressing our feelings and perspective to those who can actually do something about it.
Our elected officials represent us, so please contact them — regularly — to make them aware of who you are and where you stand.
See the links above for info about how to reach them.
- Department of Labor extends worker classification comment period
- FMCSA Proposes Electronic IDs for Trucks. Submit your Comments Today!
- OOIDA asks members to oppose electronic IDs
- OOIDA calls for intensified action against electronic IDs for trucks as proposal sends up more “red flags”
2. Regarding fuel costs, fuel, autonomous vehicles, and electric vehicles:
The cost of fuel is a major sticking point in the transportation industry (including, but not limited to, trucking).
- AAA retail diesel average now $5.326
- Benchmark diesel price up slightly as market sends mixed signals
- Cost of Fuel Ranks as Trucking’s Top Concern in ATRI 2022 Survey
- Diesel Bumps Up 0.2¢ to $5.341 a Gallon
- Diesel prices flatline after several weeks of increases; OPEC+ production cuts still a concern
- Diesel prices top trucking industry’s critical issues list
- Fuel costs top list of trucking industry concerns in new ATRI report
- Fuel prices cited as burning trucking issue in ATRI survey
- Fuel Prices Overtake Driver Shortage as Most Critical Industry Issue
- Fuel prices top issue within trucking industry
- Gasoline Prices Are Rising Again as Big Oil Profits Soar
- High fuel prices top annual list of trucking industry’s leading issues
- Pump Prices Along the East Coast Are Rising on Gasoline Shortage
- Shippers benefit from falling diesel prices: FTR
- What is Driving (Another) Spike in Truck Diesel Costs?
- Winter’s coming and that could have major impacts on already soaring diesel market
- Challenges remain in establishing hydrogen and electric infrastructure: Panel
- Daimler Truck’s GenH2 is more than just a fuel cell
- Fuel-Cell Truck Provider Quantron Expands to U.S.
- Hydrogen partnerships springing up across the U.S. could accelerate fuel cell adoption
- Hyzon Demonstrates Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Truck
- SONAR Sightings: Volume surges in Fort Worth; diesel plateaus at $5.36
- The US Is Exporting Record Oil and Fuel Even as East Coast Faces Shortages
- Wyoming Group: Most Local Refineries Sell Fuel Elsewhere
I emphatically disagree with self-driving, driverless, or autonomous commercial motor vehicles sharing the same roads as the motoring public, but I share these articles to help you stay current with the topic.
- Autonomous vehicles now permitted in Oklahoma
- Ford Cuts Investment in Autonomous Vehicle Unit Argo
- The Fantasy of Autonomous Self-Driving Cars is Coming to an End as Tesla Faces DOJ Criminal Probe
- Volvo Emphasizes Customer Collaboration in Autonomous-Truck Development
Before you go out and buy an electric truck of any kind, please do your due diligence regarding such things as:
- battery life;
- recharging fees;
- recharging station locations;
- battery fires;
- battery replacement costs;
- environmental aspects of battery procurement;
- range of miles per charge;
- the effect of loads, terrain, and temperature on batteries;
- and more.
Meanwhile, here are some of the most recent articles about electric vehicles.
- EU to Ban New Combustion Engine Cars as of 2035
- EU, US Set Up Task Force to Resolve Electric Vehicle Feud
- EV Battery Production Boosted by $2.8 Billion Federal Grant to 20 Companies
- Fleet Advantage to order 200 electric Class 8 tractors
- Hyundai Breaks Ground on $5.5 Billion Electric Car Plant in Georgia
- NC governor wants sales mandate for electric commercial truck sales
- Orange EV hits electric yard truck milestone
- Properly Maintaining EVs Through Innovative Technologies
- TeraWatt developing I-10 charging corridor for electric big rigs
- Tradelink Transport increases number of electric trucks in fleet
- Tradelink Transport to Add 15 Battery-Electric Trucks
- Volvo Trucks Creates BEV Total Cost of Ownership Tool
- Volvo Trucks unveils EV total cost of ownership tool
- Volvo Unveils Total Cost of Ownership Tool for Electric Trucks
- Volvo’s electromobility tool to help customers make decisions on electric trucks
- Yellen Tempers Expectations for Major EV Tax-Credit Tweaks
For further reading on this subject, please see the 7-part series starting here:
3. Regarding accidents, fatalities, legal, drugs, and smuggling,:
Please review these articles about accidents and see what you can glean so that you are not involved in the same kind of set-up yourself.
- Semi leaking mystery fluid sparks 23 vehicle pile-up in “extremely slippery conditions”
- Truckers nearly electrocuted when raised bed strikes overhead power line
- WATCH: Blind spot rider or clueless driver?
Regarding the last article in the section just above, based on what I saw in the video, it looked like the motorist was gaining on passing the trucker at a pretty good clip, meaning that even though the trucker had his left turn signal on, he (the trucker) was the one at fault for starting to merge when there wasn’t room.
Do you agree or disagree?
Please comment through the form below.
We extend our deepest sympathies to the families of those who died.
- California tractor-trailer driver killed in multi-vehicle collision on I-5 in Oregon
- Construction worker dies after Missouri bridge collapse
- Driver fatally pinned between trucks when own rig rolls forward
- Driver killed by own load of lumber
Please learn from these articles how to protect yourself and your rig.
- Driver charged in wreck with mobility scooter
- Driver tailed, flagged down after fatally striking teenager
- Nuclear verdicts are just one crash away, lawyer warns
- VIDEO: Police seek semi truck driver who appears to spark fire that destroyed a bus barn in Missouri
Never ever attempt to haul illegal drugs, no matter how big of an incentive you’re offered.
- Driver stuck in Smugglers’ Notch arrested for cocaine possession
- Trucking company at center of Peel Region’s largest-ever drug bust
Never ever haul illegal aliens in your tractor or trailer, no matter how much you’re offered.
4. Regarding AB5, border, broker, and ESG:
- California AB 5 Law: Many Challenges, No Easy Solutions (link no longer online)
- Legal challenges to AB 5 ‘an uphill climb,’ fix unlikely
In my opinion, there is a fix for AB5: rescind, repeal, or overturn it.
But it will require many, many people who live in the state of California putting continual pressure on their state-level elected officials to get that done.
- Worry-free cross-border shipping now a reality (Mexico Cargo Theft Statistics Infographic)
- Broker issues to heat up in 2023
- Court: Man defrauded truck drivers in ‘double-broker’ scheme operated out of Mexico
- Double broker pleads guilty to stealing carrier’s identity, fraud
- Double broker scheme busted by U.S. DOT
- FMCSA targets early 2023 for decision on broker transparency petition
Just so that you understand the big deal of “ESG” — and why it must be resisted with all of our might — please read/watch what’s in these resources:
- ESG: Is This Green Iron-fist Fantasy a Major Cause of Inflation and Economic Destruction?
- ESG: Fascist Tool of the Deep State to Reset Global Economy
5. Regarding ELDs, technology, and business:
- ELD waiver for drivers using portable ELDs renewed
- FMCSA renews waiver allowing alternate ELD rules for certain drivers
- UPS receives five-year renewal on ELD exemption
- Who is your ELD talking to?
- Carrier Logistics Creates Delivery Fleet Optimization Software
- Dashcams Promote Safety, Transparency, Motive Leaders Say
- Digital LTL Council Establishes Industry Standard for Electronic Bills of Lading
- Drivewyze, Inrix Partner With Georgia DOT on Real-Time Traffic Alerts
- DTNA to integrate Lytx video telematics system, cameras into select trucks
- Driver-facing cameras gain as drivers grumble
- In-cab cameras: Safety tool or legal liability?
- Integrations made easy: How Powerfleet makes sense of the data
- LTL industry unveils single standard for electronic bills of lading
- Noregon Adds ADAS Fault Alerts to TripVision
- Plus Showcases ‘Driver-In’ Automated System
- ShipBob launches Amazon fulfillment service for e-commerce merchants
- Skybitz Unveils Kuantum, Its Next-Generation Trailer Telematics Platform
- Texas Instruments’ Forecast Signals Chip Demand Slump Is Spreading
- Trucker Tools Expands Shipment Tracking
- TrueNorth’s Paperless Onboarding for Independent Contractors
- Who says relationships won’t be part of digital future?
- World’s first online marketplace helping to combat pallet reuse inefficiencies
6. Regarding FMCSA, HOS, regulations, emissions, and shortage:
- FMCSA Revs Up Trucking Safety, Compliance Initiatives
- What are FMCSA’s top upcoming proposed rules?
- What FMCSA Is Working On for 2023
- Emergency declaration for southeast states extend Federal
- Hours-of-service relief effective through Nov. 25
- Hurricane Ian-related emergency HOS waiver modified, extended
- Hurricane Ian hours of service waiver changed and extended
- South Dakota Issues HOS Executive Order for Fuel Delivery
- California Lawmakers Seek to Phase Out Diesel Big Rigs (link no longer online)
- Environmental regulations will shape your future trucks
- Shippers must stay aware of carrier regulations to avoid costly penalties
- Emissions regulations impact equipment, technology purchasing
- Panel Discusses the Future of Zero-Emission Trucks
- Trucking experts talk decarbonization, emissions reductions and sustainability planning
- Zero-emission targets remain a complex ‘Mars shot’
It has been said over and over again that there is no shortage of those who have active CDLs in the USA, but that there is a problem with retaining qualified truckers in the trucking industry.
If that is true, then trucking companies need to make the positives for truckers staying in trucking so much larger than the negatives that make them want to leave.
- ATA: Driver Shortage Remains Near Record High
- ATA: Truck driver shortage remains at near-record high
- Driver shortage a little better now but still worsening
- Driver Shortage Decreases Slightly to 78,000, ATA Says
- Truck driver shortage improves, still near record high
- U.S. is short 78,000 drivers, ATA says
7. Regarding inspections, insurance, maintenance, recalls, and operations:
If you keep yourself and your rig in a state of perpetual readiness for an inspection, you’ll never be caught off-guard.
- 5 Tips for Inspecting Your Fleet After Flooding
- The CVSA has released the dates for the biggest truck blitzes of 2023
- Filters unintended casualty of extended intervals, forgetfulness
- Uptake Adds Features to Predictive Maintenance Platform
- 76K Kenworth, Peterbilt trucks recalled over freezing dash displays
- Freezing digital dash leads to Paccar recall
- Non FMCSA compliant’ software issue prompt recall of 76k+ brand new Kenworth, Peterbilts
- Paccar announces recall of over 76,000 Peterbilts & Kenworths
- Paccar issues recall for nearly 80,000 trucks over faulty digital dash display
- Paccar recalling thousands of trucks over instrument panel issue
- Paccar Recalls 76,490 Vehicles
8. Regarding Daylight Saving Time, issues, safety, and saving:
Daylight Saving Time
I personally wish that we could get rid of Daylight Saving Time across the entire USA.
- Drivers, carriers share only one of their top 5 concerns, new study shows
- Experts Discuss Possible Future Risks for Truckers
- Operators’ top 2022 concerns: Parking, pay, diesel, detention
- Root causes of truck driver dissatisfaction
9. Regarding winter, weather, and roads:
- Drought Prompts Exemptions in Oklahoma, Missouri
- FHWA Releases Emergency Funds for Florida
- Relief still far off for low Mississippi River, hindering barge movement
- Snow and ice removal bill introduced in Pennsylvania
- USDOT sending $50M to Florida for infrastructure repair after Hurricane Ian
- Winter crashes began in Utah this weekend
- Winter outlook: Warmer in South, colder in Northwest & western Great Lakes
- Avoid I-40 at the TN/NC state line for the next FEW YEARS, officials warn
- I-695/I-70 project in Maryland in the planning stage
- No estimated time of reopening for I-4 blocked since early this morning
10. Regarding tires, tolls, and theft:
- Man in stolen semi truck tries running over police officer at high speeds
- Three Miami men arrested and charged in $9 million beef and pork cargo theft scheme
11. Regarding speeding, supply chain, and returns:
- 2 Catastrophic Things Are About to Happen to Our Supply Chain
- Flexport CEO Dave Clark sees ‘globalization continuing’ in supply chain
- Trivia supply chains, how LTL works and the ballad of the double broker – WTT
- Worsening US China relations will disrupt supply chains
12. Regarding recognition, awards and freebies:
We recognize those who helped their fellow human beings in a time of need.
- ABF Freight driver honored for aiding crash victim in Nebraska
- Doug Smith, Susie Deridder latest Citizen Driver honorees
- TA & Petro announces 2022 Citizen Driver Award honorees
- TravelCenters of America announces annual Citizen Driver Award winners
- TravelCenters of America names Citizen Driver Award winners
- Watch as a trucker helps a fellow driver in real time
We congratulate professional truck drivers who have achieved a milestone or level of excellence in their trucking jobs.
- J.B. Hunt driver hits 5 million safe driving miles
- J.B. Hunt driver reaches 5 million safe miles; only 2nd in company history
Veterans Day 2022 — November 11 — falls on a Friday in 2022.
Some truck stops may offer freebies to truckers who are veterans on that day or that weekend.
You may want to be prepared to show identification to prove that you are a veteran before asking for a freebie associated with this holiday.
- Love’s offers Veterans Day deal; donates to Operation Homefront
- Pilot honors military veterans with free meal
- Pilot offers free meal Nov. 11-13 to recognize military service members
- Pilot to offer free meal for military service members and their families for Veterans Day
- Truckers can grab free lunch at Iowa weigh stations next week with ‘NO ENFORCEMENT ACTIVITIES’
- Trucking association offers free lunch at 3 Iowa scale house locations Nov. 2
My husband Mike and I wish you — and all professional truck drivers — safe travels and lots of money saving opportunities on the road.