This is the TDMST Weekly Round-Up of news affecting professional truck drivers, written by Vicki Simons for the week ending June 26, 2021.
We welcome your comments, thoughts and feedback on the items of your choice below.
1. Regarding AB5, lawsuit, and cyberattack:
While I am a firm proponent of the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States — which basically says that whatever is not an enumerated power given to the federal government in the Constitution is left up to the states and the people — AB5 is one of those state laws (in my opinion) that needs to be overridden on constitutional grounds.
Frankly, I’m surprised more Californians didn’t erupt over AB5!
- AB5 injunction remains as trucking group petitions SCOTUS
- California Trucking Association plans to petition U.S. Supreme Court over AB5
- California Trucking Association to Take AB 5 Case to Supreme Court
- California’s I/C Wipeout Law Could Be Enforced Next Week After New Court Decision
- CTA to Petition Supreme Court on AB5 Ruling
- Enforcement of California’s I/C Wipeout Law Delayed Until Case is Decided by Supreme Court
- News Alert: Appeals court denies request to rehear AB5 decision
- Supreme Court appears likely next stop for challenge to AB 5 independent contractor law
- Trucking exempt from AB 5 until Supreme Court weighs in
- Charges against trucker Bogdan Vechirko to be dismissedThis trucker did nothing wrong, the protesters were wrong for blocking an interstate highway, and there should never have been any “charges” filed against the trucker to begin with!
- Texas Law To Reform Truck Liability Rules
- Colonial Pipeline Sued for Gas Crisis From Ransomware AttackBelow, there is an article about “Bringing cloud-based platforms to companies across the globe,” but one must remember that anything that is stored “in the cloud” (on the Internet) is subject to being hacked.Why didn’t Colonial Pipeline do a better job of securing their technology?Or was this cyberattack a deliberate plan by insiders?
2. Regarding accidents, staged accidents, and drugs:
Please learn what you can from these reports of accidents and actively seek to avoid getting into the same kind of circumstances or situations that led up to the accidents.
- 17 vehicles, including 2 semis, part of crash on Alabama interstate that killed 10
- Delivery truck driver learns a hard lesson after taking scenic mountain pass
- Family of 10 injured in wreck with semi truck
- Fiery 17-Vehicle Crash Involving Two Big Rigs Claims Ten Lives Including Nine Children
- Nashville trucker dead after crashing into I-40 overpass in Tennessee; TDOT says repair could take weeks
- Nine children killed in chain-reaction crash involving 2 tractor trailers, 18 vehicles total
- WATCH: Driver narrowly avoids being run off road by fellow trucker
I prayed for vindication and justice in this case — and it is happening!
- Attorney pleads guilty to role in ‘Operation Sideswipe’ scheme
- Attorney’s guilty plea is 23rd in widespread staged-accident fraud scheme
Never, ever agree to haul illegal drugs in your truck or trailer or both!
Doing so can ruin your freedom, family, CDL, and trucking career!
- 1,300 Pounds of Marijuana Seized From Big Rig Arriving From Mexico
- Border Patrol agents find alleged narcotics worth more than $6.5M hidden in tractor-trailer
- Canadian Truckers Charged in Record $61M Drug Bust and Takedown of Smuggling Ring
- Cops take down ring using ‘hydraulic traps’ on semis to hide drugs, $61 million worth seized
- NJ trooper finds 121 pounds of marijuana/THC products during weigh station inspection
- NJ troopers bust trucker for 121 pounds of marijuana and THC products
- Police bust gang using modified tractor trailers to smuggle drugs
- Smugglers outfitted trucks for ‘staggering’ drug hauls to Canada, police say
3. Regarding autonomous vehicles:
I am totally opposed to self-driving, driverless, or autonomous trucks.
However, I am sharing these articles to help you stay current with the news on this topic.
- Automated versus autonomous driving: Is that truck behind me a robot?
- Bridgestone joins forces with Kodiak to add ‘smart’ tire tech to autonomous trucks
- Daily Infographic: Autonomous Operation Levels
- Embark Trucks: Autonomous testing pioneer latest to join SPAC parade
- Global News Roundup: Autonomous Truck Market Heats Up in Asia
4. Regarding bridge and ports:
How much time and/or money have you lost from having to “go around” the bridge over I-40 due to the crack?
Please let us know through the form below.
- Painful mess’: I-40 bridge closure costing trucking industry $1M daily
- ‘Significant Progress’ on Repairs to I-40 Bridge But Timetable For Reopening Remains Unclear
- Work continues on repairs to closed I-40 bridge; no re-opening date set
- Port Houston volume jumps 30% year-over-year in MayIf you have the nerves, stomach, and fortitude to handle dealing with ports, there seems to be a good bit of money that can be earned from picking up and delivering to them right now!
5. Regarding blind spots, operations, and parking:
Every truck has blind spots, although trucks with mirrors may have more or larger blind spots than those with camera technology.
Continually sharpen your trucking skills.
Save money as often as it is reasonable to do so.
- Idle Reduction: Not One Size Fits All
- Watch as this driver takes out all of the traffic cones
- WATCH: How to properly back into a dock.
Pay attention to changes in truck parking.
Many truckers use Smartphone apps to help them find parking for big rigs.
- ATRI: Drivers Find Truck Parking Signs Useful
- Minneapolis City Council Advances Controversial Big Rig Parking Ban
- Minneapolis to vote on city-wide semi truck parking ban
- Truck parking ban being proposed in Minneapolis
- Trucking association opposes proposed truck-parking ban in Minneapolis
- Trucking group: Minneapolis parking ban ‘would diminish an essential industry’
6. Regarding employment, economy, and supply chain:
- US Jobless Claims Tick Down to 411,000 as Economy Heals
- Will Smaller Jobless Benefits Bring Back Drivers?
These are some of the most recent articles regarding the economy from the trucking industry’s perspective.
- Borderlands: Mexico exports of commercial trucks jump 277%
- Feverish demand and lack of supply driving used truck prices skyward
- May Tonnage Rises 3.7% Year-Over-Year
- Shippers’ conditions bounced in April from record lows
- Some Used Vehicles Now Cost More Than Original Sticker Price
- Truck tonnage dipped for second consecutive month while still strong year-over-year
- Truck Tonnage Index Decreases in May
- Truckload rates soared in May despite lower freight volumes
- US Durable Goods Orders Rise 2.3% in May
- US June Manufacturing Index at Record High, Services Dip
- Volumes slip, but rates remain at record highs: ACT
- How Supply Chain Tech is Ushering in the Next Generation of TruckingQuote from article:”One technology that is beginning to touch all aspects of the supply chain, including partners and vendors, is the cloud.”Technology stored and deployed in the cloud increases interoperability between platforms, improves security, and increases innovation.”
Per my comment above, please be careful about what you put “in the cloud”!
- It’s time to embrace chaos in the supply chainThe subtitle reads: “Today’s chaos will usher in an investment and technology revolution”.
7. Regarding fuel:
Why is it that — post-cyberattack on the East Coast — Colorado is the only state that I have heard of having fuel shortages?
Something seems amiss…
- Diesel numbers a mixed bag
- Fuel on demand
- Some Denver Gas Stations Have Been Running Short of Fuel
- ‘Truck driver shortage’ blamed for dry gas pumps in Colorado
8. Regarding inspections, maintenance, and oil:
When, maintenance-wise, you’re always ready for a truck inspection, there is nothing about which to worry!
- 72-Hour Enforcement Crackdown Happening This Week in These States
- Michigan Police Ramping Up CMV Inspections This Week as Part of 5-Day Blitz
Read and learn…
9. Regarding surcharge, tolls, and theft:
Toll receipts and charges are among the papers and records that you should regularly review.
- Capital Beltway toll project struck down by regional transport board
- Oregon bill addresses transportation funding, tolls
- Tolling authorities are “double dipping” when it comes to charging semi trucks, trucking company owners say
- Truck driver arrested for hijacking 42,000 pounds of pistachiosTime for a pun?Stealing this load was just nuts! (Ha ha!)
10. Regarding exams and technology:
- Deadline extension pushes medical examiner rule compliance into 2025
- What happens if you fail your DOT exam?Quote from article:”Drivers have been prosecuted for failing to disclose medical histories in order to obtain certification. This is one of the worst things you can do. Chances are you will be caught and lose your driving career. You might even end up in prison.”
- 3 Ways ELDs Have Improved Safety for Truckers and Trucking BusinessesThere are still problems associated with forced ELDs that need to be addressed!
- 4 ways fleets can use data to improve performance
- Bringing cloud-based platforms to companies across the globe — At Your Doorstep
- Telemetry data can aid fleets with hurricane preparedness
11. Regarding protests:
12. Regarding award:
We congratulate and recognize every trucker who has gone above and beyond the call of duty!
- Averitt Express marks 50th anniversary by celebrating associate milestones
- Citizen Driver Don Talley consistently looks to lend a helping hand
My husband Mike and I wish you — and all professional truck drivers — safe travels and lots of money saving opportunities on the road.