TDMST Weekly Round-Up 2023.01.14 is the trucking commentary on news affecting professional truck drivers for the week ending January 14, 2023, written by Vicki Simons.
We welcome your comments, thoughts and feedback on the items of your choice below.
1. Regarding fatalities, accidents, move over, and legal:
If I’m not badly mistaken, this is the largest number of articles that I’ve compiled in a single week having to do with fatalities involving Commercial Motor Vehicles (if not for all-time, then certainly in a long time).
It may be speculated that some drivers are having medical episodes while driving — and that those medical episodes have been brought on by the driver having taken a jab.
Please drive defensively and take care of your health.
- 2022 traffic fatality estimates in line with 2021 numbers through September
- 9 tractor-trailers part of double fatal crash on I-80 near Iowa City
- Fiery crash involving 18-wheeler kills 5
- Florida Turnpike chain-reaction crash involving 3 big rigs kills 1 driver
- Head-on collision kills 2 truck drivers in Michigan
- NHTSA data for much of 2022 shows miniscule decline in traffic fatalities
- NTSB: Big rig hit rear of party bus in 3-fatality crash in Virginia
- Traffic Fatalities Dipped Slightly in First Nine Months of 2022
- Traffic fatalities down in first nine months of 2022
- Traffic fatalities mostly unchanged year-over-year through Sept. 2022, NHTSA estimates
- Two dead after series of semi truck crashes plagues I-10 in Arizona
- Two dead in 15 vehicle pileup in Iowa
- Two truck drivers dead after propane hauler crosses median and hits gas hauler head-on
Please take a few moments to scan through the articles linked in this section so that you know what led up to each accident, so that you don’t get yourself involved in the same situations.
- Brake failure blamed for big rig crash that closed I-70 at Eisenhower Tunnel
- Driver distraction suspected as factor in Arizona I-10 chain reaction crash that killed five
- Driver ditches loaded big rig in Washington bay after brakes fail
- Indiana State Police search for semi-truck that struck, damaged overpass
- Indiana troopers need help identifying truck involved in bridge strike
- Motor vehicle crashes cost society $340B
- Oversized load truck driver who caused massive train derailment in Tennessee arrested on felony charge
- Semi truck demolished after crashing into fuel island
- Truck plows into trees after swerving to miss deer
- VIDEO: Car driver pulls off shoulder, turns into the path of big rig without ‘any fair warning’
2. Regarding economy, fines, tolls, price gouging, and lottery:
The following articles reflect what has been happening most recently in the trucking industry as it affects the economy.
- ACT Research: Data indicates softer 2023 economic downturn
- Airfreight industry watches for signs of midyear recovery
- Biden climate blueprint promotes modal shift away from trucks
- Consumer Inflation Eased Again to 6.5% in December
- December Class 8 Sales Reach All-Time High
- FedEx to Shrink Sunday Delivery Service to 50% of US
- Freight cycle in transition with spot market bottoming quickly
- Freight outlook for January is grim but seasonal
- Mild recession won’t cause too much pain to work truck industry: NTEA
- Services Gauge Shrinks Unexpectedly in Worst Slide Since 2020
- Surge finally over,’ US imports back near pre-pandemic levels
- Tender acceptance at all-time high level for the holidays
- Total freight costs fall year over year in December for first time in 28 months
- Truck orders end 2022 on sour note
- Trucking in ‘slow growth’ environment, not recession: FTR
Please take a look at the fines that have been put in place, so that you know how much they are and that you don’t find yourself on the receiving end.
- FMCSA announces new fine amounts
- FMCSA Increases Truck Driver Fines Based On Inflation
- FMCSA, following DOT mandate, hikes fines for certain violations
One definition of “price gouging” is:
“When a seller increases prices of goods, services, or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair.”
I hope that this trucker has financial discipline so that he doesn’t end up in worse shape after winning the lottery than he was before.
3. Regarding drugs and alcohol:
Never ever haul illegal drugs, no matter how big of a promised payout there may be.
Never ever drink alcohol before you drive any vehicle!
Never use a mouthwash that contains alcohol, lest your exhalation into a breathalyzer shows a bad rating.
4. Regarding batteries, electric vehicles, autonomous vehicles, fuel, and emissions:
- Depot-Focused Run on Less Electric Coming in Fall 2023
- Feds: Heavy electric vehicles, such as big rigs, could pose big safety risks due to weight
- Head of Transportation Safety Board Shares Concern Over Heavy EV Safety Risks
- Michigan-based grocery chain testing EVs in cold weather
- Michigan’s EV Investments Line Up State Among Largest Battery Manufacturers
- NYC electric truck scores big on trash collection
- Overcoming Challenges of Electrifying Transport Refrigeration [Video]
I am totally opposed to operating commercial motor vehicles that are “autonomous,” self-driving, or driverless, on the same roads as the motoring public.
- California autonomous regs are not big truck friendly
- California autonomous regs are not big truck friendly
- How does a driverless truck react to tire issues?
- How long is the road to autonomy? – WTT
- How soon will we see an autonomous trucking shakeout?
- Proposal on automated driving systems expected soon
- Torc Robotics partnering with Fortellix for development of autonomous big rig tech
- AAA retail diesel average now $4.653 Fuel prices Land Line
- China Increases Hydrogen-Powered Vehicles as U.S. Energy Dept. Invests $750 Million Into Truck Cell Development
- Crude oil price to lower, EIA says Fuel prices Land Line
- Daily Infographic: US retail gasoline prices rose in summer but ended 2022 lower than start of year
- Diesel Drops 3.4¢ to $4.549 a Gallon
- Diesel prices, teetering up, down in recent weeks, land down for now
- Florida’s First Landfill Gas-to-RNG Facility Fully Operational
- Gasoline Prices Set to Rise if Corn Belt States Win Fuel Fight
- Marine fuels boosted diesel prices in 2022, but future impact unclear
- Sheetz announces 50 cent diesel discount at all locations for the rest of January
- Sheetz cuts diesel prices by 50 cents at all locations
- Truck Freight Routes Could Be Hydrogen Fueling Station Backbone
- Van segments end 2022 with bump in spot rate gains
- Weekly Fuel Report: January 10, 2023
- Weekly NTI Update: January 9, 2023
- Will sanctions on Russian diesel pay off for product tankers?
5. Regarding destroyed, theft, scam, and violence:
Please work to reduce and eliminate ways that someone can steal something from you, your truck, or your trailer.
- 2022 saw significant uptick in cargo theft activity
- ALERT: Credit card skimmers found on diesel pumps at Massachusetts Pilot truck stop
- Cargo theft increased by 15% in 2022; a total of $223 million was stolen
- Man charged for collecting $100k in deposits for rigs he never delivered
- Mexico averaged 39 cargo thefts a day in November
- Ringleader sentenced to prison for nationwide moving company racketeering scheme
- Thieves stole $223M in cargo in 2022: CargoNet
- Three men steal $300,000 from Brink’s driver by distracting him with questions about directions
- Trucking bookkeeper already in prison for embezzlement sentenced for PPP fraud
We extend our deepest sympathy and condolences to the family of this trucking couple.
6. Regarding trucking, parking, and incentives:
- Officials, neighbors will soon present map of “safe, secure” truck parking for ‘just $5 a day’ because they want resident truckers off of their streets
- Truck Parking Is Top Issue for Drivers
- Truckers Need Better Visibility Into Open Parking Spaces, Study Finds
7. Regarding operations, brakes, border, bypass, and California:
- Brake failure led trucker to drive off boat ramp into water, Washington sheriff says
- Left lane truck use the focus of Virginia House bill
- Truckers Trying to Navigate the Notch Could Lead to a Fine Mess
- VIDEO: Ohio trooper lectures truck driver after catching her in the ‘wrong lane’
- Borderlands: Canada still top US trading partner ahead of Mexico
- Groups look to improve cross-border transportation technology
- Two charged in scheme to sell New Jersey truckers fraudulent E-Z Pass transponders to avoid PA Turnpike tolls
8. Regarding age, CDLs, and certify:
- Delaware CDL holders can now self-certify online
- Delaware DMV Adds Online CDL Self-Certification Tool
9. Regarding employment, AB5, and exemption:
- Daily Infographic: Amazon CEO confirms company is cutting over 18,000 jobs
- Delivery drivers to share $5.6M in misclassification case victory
- Truck Drivers in Demand Despite Softening Freight Rates, Consumer Trends
- Truck transportation industry’s final ’22 job numbers show modest gains
- Trucking jobs rose in December; up nearly 63,000 for the year
- Trucking vacancies remain high, Trucking HR Canada data shows
- FMCSA announces action on two driver training exemption requests
- FMCSA denies one training exemption, OKs another Federal
- Trucker age-exemption bill reintroduced in new Congress
10. Regarding ports, supply chain, technology, and weather:
- Coast is (almost) clear as port congestion fades even further
- Cold Storage Facility to Be Built Near Port of Charleston
- Congestion Easing at Ports, Along Southern Border, TRB Speakers Say
- Labor Disruptions at Ports Quadrupled Globally in 2022
- Multiple Factors Turn California Ports Into ‘Dormant Volcano’
- TRB panel: East Coast ports reaping rewards of investments
- COVID’s Impact on Shopping, Supply Chain Remains Profound
- How changes in supply chain finance disclosure could impact shippers
- What’s supply chain financing? Why does it matter?
- Book by Cornell professor takes skeptical look at ELDs, surveillance
- Top 10 Ways Trucking Software Improves Trucking Business
Please be aware of bad weather before you head into it and if it is really bad, safely park and wait to drive until the bad weather system has moved out of your area.
- Highway 126 still closed after dramatic mudslide strands drivers
- Landslides, sinkholes, floodwaters plague drenched California
11. Regarding predictions, roads, and run on less:
- $100 Million Maryland Grant to Fund I-81 Lane Expansion
- I-94 closed in Wisconsin for multiple crashes
Run on less
While it’s a good idea to maximize fuel economy, be aware that going electric may not be as efficient as petroleum-based fuel or other types of fuel.
Please do your due diligence.
12. Regarding HOS, inspections, CARB, and EPA:
- Iowa, Wisconsin declare fuel emergencies
- Nevada order suspends regulations for 15 days State
- Wisconsin waives hours of service regulations for heating fuel haulers
- Indiana troopers pull semi over for roadside inspection on I-70, find 22 pounds of cocaine
- Operation Braking Point begins in Delaware
- VIDEO: Tesla driver tests a trucker’s patience with brake check after brake check
- ‘Zero-tolerance’ two week traffic enforcement blitz underway in Delaware
My husband Mike and I wish you — and all professional truck drivers — safe travels and lots of money saving opportunities on the road.