This is the TDMST Weekly Round-Up of news affecting professional truck drivers, written by Vicki Simons for the week ending January 2, 2021.
We welcome your comments, thoughts and feedback on the items of your choice below.
1. Regarding 2020 highlights and 2021 predictions:
As typically happens at the end of one year going into the next, various people and groups create lists of:
- highlights of the year ending and
- predictions of what they think will come in the new year.
Here are some of the lists from trucking sources.
- 2020 Review: A look back at a transformative year in trucking
- 2020 through the rearview: Highlights from the trucking sphere
- 2020’s Top Trucking News Stories
- Counting down the hours to 2021 with Overdrive Radio
- Freightonomics top 10 of 2020
- HDT’s Top Articles of 2020
- Here are Land Line’s top stories and podcasts for 2020
- Here’s how one trucking company won in the worst year ever
- How Parts, Service Providers Met 2020 Challenges
- Predicting Trucking in 2020 — 10 Years Ago
- The FreightWaves Top 10: Bankruptcies, capacity concerns, protests and Trevor Milton’s departure
- The leading issues trucking faced during tumultuous 2020
- The Top 10 Newsmakers of 2020
- Trucking in 2020: A look back the year’s top news, equipment and tech trends
- WHAT THE TRUCK?!? Top 10 of 2020
- 5 reasons why 2021 will be better
- Commentary: Really bad logistics predictions for 2021
- Getting 2021 rolling with a twist — some good news
- Predicting 2021: Industry experts optimistic, but driver shortage may cloud outlook
- Shippers begin planning for a post-pandemic world
- Trucking Industry Experts Optimistic About 2021
2. Regarding accidents:
Please learn what you can from the descriptions of these accidents (and a near-miss), so that you don’t wind up being someone about whom a similar article is written.
- 113 crashes, 117 spinouts reported on Minnesota roadways in less than 12 hours
- Log-truck unloading mishap leaves more than 150 people stranded on Edmonds/Kingston Ferry
- Plant employee discovers deceased driver fatally pinned between cab and trailer
- Portion of 14 freeway closed for “unknown duration” due to big rig crash
- Rig fatally crushes driver as he attempts repairs
- Truck driver killed in grain silo collapse
- VIDEO: Truck driver slices open trailer on awning while trying to make a turn
- Ohio trooper’s dash cam catches truck driver causing ‘scary moment’ for motoristPlease note that the video shows after the “near-miss,” that the trooper turned around and pulled over the trucker.I’m speculating, but I have no doubt that the trooper asked to see the trucker’s driver’s license, DOT medical card, and electronic logs.
3. Regarding clearinghouse, technology, drones, and COVID-19 vaccine:
Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse
- A step-by-step look at DOT Clearinghouse self-check process
- Clearinghouse hits traffic jam as Jan. 5 deadline looms
- Clearinghouse query deadline approaches
- Deadline to register with Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse is just days away
- As ransomware attacks hit trucking, victims face costly dilemma
- Commentary: 3 lessons learned about supply chain AI, machine learningThis article states the lessons learned:- Customers just want their problems solved — and technology that’s easy to use- In some instances quality of data is a stumbling block, but it is also an opportunity- The products and platforms that will survive must solve problems at 3 levels (strategic, tactical, and operational)
- Commentary: Cargo security without cybersecurity is half-baked
I am including these articles to help you stay up-to-date with this technology, because it could be that packages delivered by drone may start to cut in on what is hauled by truck.
- Drone Use in US to Get Boost in New Security Rules
- New FAA rules put drone delivery closer to reality
I was delighted to read the poll results linked to the article Now that it’s here, will you take the COVID-19 vaccination?, that 90% of truckers said “No.”
You may also be interested in these articles:
- Some healthcare workers refuse to take COVID-19 vaccine
- CDC Issues New Guidelines, Launches Probe After 1000s Negatively-Affected Following COVID-19 Vaccination
- Swiss Patient Dies Shortly After Receiving Pfizer COVID Vaccine
4. Regarding economy, trucker shortage and turnover, and pay:
- ACT Research: November trailer orders down 28% from October, but up 94% year over year
- ACT’s November data shows used truck sales volumes, average age, miles down from October
- November Trailer Orders Still Strong Despite Drop
Trucker shortage and turnover
- A real eye-opener: Top issues list puts driver shortage at top for 4th straight year
- Innovative solutions for combating truck driver shortage
- Driver turnover: the stark reality behind the statisticsThis article states: “According to a 2020 survey by the American Payroll Association, nearly 69% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.”
- COTC wants drivers to have confidence in their compensation
This article lists a minimum amount of pay per week with an expected (my word) number of miles traveled for solo drivers and other compensation for team drivers.
- More carriers increasing driver pay
- Truckers get pay boost to start new year
5. Regarding fine, recalls, and the now-illegal:
- Daimler to pay $30 million after feds say they were too slow to recall trucks
- NHTSA announces consent order with Daimler Trucks North America; DTNA to pay civil penalty of $30 million
- NHTSA Fines Daimler $10 Million Over Timing of Truck Recalls
- Volvo recalls 7,238 trucks for parking brake issue
- Volvo Trucks recalls more than 6,000 trucks for service brake issue
6. Regarding operations, electric trucks, and inspections:
- 5 Ways You Can Control Costs and Improve Your Operation
- Trucker ticketed for snoozing behind the wheel in the middle of an active off-ramp
- Electric Last Mile Solutions is Bringing Electrification to E-Commerce Delivery
- New Jersey first state to adopt California electric truck sales mandate
- Annual Inspection of Underride Guards Proposed
- Rear impact guards may be added to FMCSA inspection list
- Rear underride guards to be included in annual inspections
7. Regarding roads:
- America’s highway systems ranked best to worst by state
- Group wants Georgia to extend I-75 truck-only lanes
8. Regarding violence:
Violence toward truckers and other members of the motoring public must STOP!
9. Regarding fuel gelling in winter:
According to the article What is Diesel Gelling and How to STOP it?:
Diesel gelling is when cold temperatures cause diesel fuel to turn from a liquid into a gel-like substance.
The diesel fuel solidifies into a waxy or gel-like substance. Fuel is no longer able to be pumped or filtered through the engine.
So, it’s imperative that truckers driving diesel-powered trucks have the means by which to prevent their trucks’ fuel from gelling.
There are numerous fuel treatments on the market, including this one just announced:
Pilot Flying J Offers Winter Fuel Protection.
If you use this product, please write and send us your product review.
10. Regarding taxes, surcharges, and tolls:
- Delivery nation 2021: Surcharges uber alles“For years, delivery surcharges — the fees that carriers charge on top of their base rates — have nicked and cut parcel shippers’ budgets. But what occurred in the past may be nothing compared to what lies ahead, at least for unprepared shippers.”If you’re an owner-operator or independent trucker, please watch your contracts for surcharges!
- Toll hike goes into effect on PA Turnpike on January 3
- Toll hikes on Pennsylvania Turnpike take effect Jan. 3
- Toll rates on Pennsylvania Turnpike increase on Jan. 3
- Triangle Expressway and Monroe Expressway tolls to go up
11. Regarding charity:
Thanks so much to those who helped others, whether mentioned here or not:
- Group delivers $650 each to 34 trucker families in need
- Schneider donates refrigerated trailer to Feeding America to help provide for those in need
- Trucker families in need get a boost from organization
We extend our heartiest congratulations to these award seekers and finalists:
- 2020 Company Driver of the Year and 2020 Owner-Operator of the Year finalists announced
- Five-time Owner-Operator of the Year finalist Bryan Smith
- Owner-operator award finalist sports safe driving record
- Owner-Operator of the Year finalist Doug Schildgen
- The Home Stretch: Dennis Dellinger enters the final quarter of his successful chairmanship
Also, Happy New Year!
Would you please contact us through the form below to let us know how you plan to have a safe and prosperous year this year?
My husband Mike and I wish you — and all professional truck drivers — safe travels and lots of money saving opportunities on the road.