TDMST Weekly Round-Up 2022.06.11 is the trucking commentary on news affecting professional truck drivers, written by Vicki Simons for the week ending June 11, 2022.
We welcome your comments, thoughts and feedback on the items of your choice below.
Please note that this is the first trucking commentary that Vicki has written since we changed the platform for our website.
We know that our site still needs some improvement, particularly with updating links.
We hope you like this new site much better than the old one. 🙂
1. Regarding Brake Safety Week, Safe Driver Week, inspections, and safety:
Brake Safety Week
Please keep your entire rig prepared for an inspection — including a brake inspection — at all times.
If you do that, you’ll never be surprised, as doubtless many truckers were, as recorded in the article under the “Inspections” section below.
- Brake Safety Week Set for August
- Brake Safety Week to include special focus on hoses, tubing
- CVSA Brake Safety Week Scheduled for Aug. 21-27
- CVSA sets dates for Brake Safety Week
- Here’s what you can expect during Brake Safety Week 2022
- Mark your calendar: Brake safety inspection week is Aug. 21-27
Safe Driver Week
Operation Safe Driver Week is happening July 10 – 16, 2022, and the area of special emphasis this year is speeding.
- 7 things truckers need to know about Operation Safe Driver Week
- Operation Safe Driver Week scheduled for mid-July
- Inspectors Place More Than 1,200 Commercial Motor Vehicles with Brake Violations Out of Service During CVSA’s Unannounced Brake Safety Day – CVSA — Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance
- Iowa DOT reminds truckers about railroad crossing rules following truck vs. train crashPlease see our article about railroad crossing accident prevention.
2. Regarding AB5, HOS, and LTL:
- California Trucking Association says AB5 would ‘upend’ industry –Quotes:”AB5, which California passed into law in 2019, codified the ABC Test, making it difficult for companies to hire independent contractors for work that is inside the usual course of the hiring entity’s business. Many truckers believe the law would end the owner-operator model in the industry. …””The California Trucking Association argues that AB5 violates the F4A, which prevents states from enforcing a law or regulation related to a price, route, or service of motor carriers. …”The California Trucking Association specifically cited OOIDA’s amicus brief which stated that AB5 ‘would cause motor carriers and owner-operators to bear the substantial, if not insurmountable, costs and burdens associated with shifting to an employer/employee business model.'”
- Caltrux calls Solicitor General’s AB 5 argument ‘wrong’
- CTA Calls Request to Deny High Court Consideration of AB 5 ‘Head-Scratchingly Wrong’
- CTA fires back at solicitor general review of California’s AB5
- FMCSA announces extension of COVID-19 emergency declaration
- Truck driver requests hours-of-service exemption
- Trucker files request for personal exemption from HOS rules
- Tips For Managing LTL Freight?Quote: “Managing LTL (less than truckload) freight can be tricky. Hauling small loads that are less than the full size of the trailer appeals to owner-operators for numerous reasons. …”
3. Regarding fuel, electric vehicles, autonomous vehicles, and emissions:
According to a Nov. 13, 2019, article by Material Handling and Logistics:
The statistics may have shifted since then.
But still, any upward trend in diesel prices is going to have a significant impact on the cost of transportation.
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) makes these resources available:
- Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update
- Today in Energy > Prices
- Weekly U.S. No 2 Diesel Retail Prices (Dollars per Gallon)
We have no way of knowing what kind of intercession may take place regarding the cost of oil and fuel, but I did read an analysis that said that the cost of oil affects everything.
If you have a view on this, please comment through the form below.
Meanwhile, here are some of the most recent articles on this topic:
- 5 Ways a Fuel Program Can Save Your Truck Fleet MoneyNumber 2 on the list is “Negotiate Discounts.”
- California truckers can now convert their diesel big rigs to hydrogen-electric powerThis is interesting. I would be interested to know if a diesel truck can ever have its DEF-connected equipment removed.
- Canadian entrepreneur launching hydrogen-powered autonomous truck venture
- Diesel prices are on the rise again
- Diesel prices hit record level – again
- Diesel Surges 16.4¢ a Gallon to Record $5.703
- DOE Issues $8 Billion Hydrogen Hub Funding Notice
- Fast Steps to Fuel Savings
- Fleet Advantage releases paper on alternative energy for Class-8 vehicles
- Fuel tax increase slated in Maryland
- Gasoline Tops $5 a Gallon in 13 States
- Hydrogen Pushed to Starring Role in Energy Future
- Hydron plans hydrogen fuel cell autonomous trucks
- Hyzon fuel cell truck power impresses
- Natural Gas Prices Slump After Fire at Texas LNG Terminal
- Save money with OOIDA fuel program
- Startup Hydron Plans Autonomous Longhaul Trucks With Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- To drill or not to drill on federal land?
- Truckers, with today’s diesel prices, may hear echoes of 1973
- TuSimple co-founder starts fuel cell truck company
- US Boosts Biofuel Quotas as Gas Prices Surge
- US diesel prices just hit a new record: $5.70 a gallon
- US producer to generate 35 tons of green hydrogen daily in Belgium
- Weekly Fuel Report: June 07, 2022
- West Coast sees 30-cent diesel price hikes Fuel prices
- Administration Officials Tout Future of Electric Vehicles
- Bruckner’s Becomes First EV-Certified Mack Dealer in Texas
- Canada Post promises to electrify 14,000-vehicle fleet
- DOT proposes ground rules for EV infrastructure
- Eaton Offers 48-Volt Programmable ECU for Heated Catalysts
- Electric, hybrid vehicle fee approved by Louisiana Legislature
- FHWA Releases Guidelines for EV Charging Stations
- Ford-Backed Startup Targets EV Alternatives to Lithium-Ion Batteries
- New York Seeks Input on EV Charging Stations
- This company is using sunlight to charge EVs
- Xos Adds New Classes 6-8 BEVs, Software
I most emphatically disapprove of self-driving, driverless, or autonomous commercial motor vehicles sharing roads with the motoring public, but share these articles as a courtesy to help you stay current with the topic.
- Autonomous trucking company partners with Uber Freight
- Driverless Trucks to Deliver Goods to Sam’s Clubs
- Embark autonomous and BYD electric trucks demo the future
- Kodiak: Ease of Sensor Replacement a Step toward Autonomous-Truck Deployment
- Uber Freight and Waymo Via envision autonomous trucking for all
- Uber Freight, Waymo partnering for autonomous truck deployment
- Uber Freight, Waymo Via Partner to Advance Autonomous Trucking
- Hyzon Receives CARB Zero-Emissions Certification
- Redwood Logistics to help customers calculate emissions, buy carbon offsets
4. Regarding accidents, fatalities, drugs, theft, and violence:
Please glean from these articles how you may be able to avoid getting involved in a similar accident yourself.
- Arkansas troopers say van driver failed to yield to big rig, resulting in crash that killed five
- Detours, slowdowns remained on I-30 as repair of “literally melted” asphalt continued into Thursday
- Eight injured in wreck involving three semis, multiple cars
- Fatal, fiery chain reaction crashes blocks traffic into next morning
- Motorist sentenced for DUI crash that killed four caused when he tried to ‘beat the truck through the intersection’
- MSP: Driver ran red light in crash that killed motorist
- Multiple deaths reported in Arkansas I-30 pileup; several big rigs involved
- Multi-vehicle crash shuts down stretch of highway in Pennsylvania
- Nine tractor-trailers involved in crashes on I-30 that killed 3 people
- Sharp rise in truck-occupant deaths looks preventable
- VIDEO: Four wheeler close call topples unsuspecting semi truck driver
- VIDEO: Pickup refuses to yield for trucker’s turn, chaos ensues
We extend our condolences to the family of the trucker.
Never, ever haul illegal drugs, no matter how much of an incentive you are offered.
- CBP: Trucker indicted for $18M worth of meth smuggling did so to pay off cousin’s debts
- Mexican trucker could face life in prison after $18 million worth of liquid meth found in fuel tanks
- Trucker sentenced to 45 years for intoxicated crash that killed four children, severely injured father
It might be a good idea to approach looking at your rig from the standpoint of how easy it would be to steal something from it — and then take action to help prevent it from being stolen.
- How Microsoft is reducing risk of cargo theft with Overhaul
- Owner/Ops reputation at risk as cargo thefts continue, drivers lament
- POLL: Cargo or equipment theft — what’s been your experience?
5. Regarding economy, employment, credentials, and health:
- Class 8 truck orders slide in May
- Daily Infographic: More trucks, please! Parcel volumes remain on upward trajectory
- Do You Own One of The Top-Selling Used Trucks?
- Heavily contracted carriers having a better year than 2021 — so far
- Texas truckers warn of parked rigs, empty shelves until 2023
- Truck orders hit lowest total since November 2021
- US Class 8 Sales in May Climb Past 20,000, Adding to Recent Momentum
- US imports decline, says JP Morgan and Bank of AmericaBanks wary of US import collapse, citing weak volume, China volatility
- Volumes recover from post-holiday depression, rejections take a dive
- Building driver loyalty and engagement
- How trucking can promote job inclusion and gender equality
- Military veteran truck drivers are safer, stay longer
- Successful Strategies For Post-Pandemic Driver Recruiting – Podcast
- Successful Strategies For Post-Pandemic Driver Recruiting [Video]
- Proposed bill would streamline application process for drivers seeking TSA clearances
- Senators Introduce TSA Bill
- Senators look to ease process for truck drivers to get TWIC, hazmat credentials
6. Regarding tolls, taxes, rates, insurance, and inflation:
- Bridge to go cashless, removing site of infamous gridlock
- Chicago trucking company warns of $1000s in fees if you frequent the tollway
- Indiana Toll Road rates to increase in July
- Kentucky governor announces action to freeze gas taxThe suggestion regarding freezing or eliminating taxes on fuel as a temporary measure to lower the overall price of fuel does two disadvantageous things, in my opinion:- it removes the ability for a state to pay for road construction and repairs that would be paid for from the tax; and- (more importantly) it does not address the root cause of the increase in fuel prices to begin with.
- Nova Scotia looks to block truckers from ‘gaming’ insurance system
- Truck insurance coverage defined by contract, not conversations, court says
A non-trucking resource stated on June 10, 2022:
Quote: “Now, the inflation is undeniable even to the deniers. Fuel price increases, for example, are now sitting at 75% year over year.”
How are you as a professional truck driver dealing with inflation?
Please comment through the form below.
- Biden blames shipping companies for inflation in Port of Los Angeles visit
- EIA energy outlook predicts continued increase to costs
- US Inflation Unexpectedly Accelerates to 40-Year High of 8.6%
7. Regarding labor, household, and legal:
- Florida moving company ordered to pay over $21M after deceiving customers
- Household mover ordered to pay nearly $22M for deceptive practices | Memorial Day week rates recap
- Moving Authority say feds looks to ‘spank’ moving industry with new regulations
8. Regarding limiters, loads, and bridges:
Please write and submit your comments here while the comment period is open.
- Arizona trucking president weighs in on “the stupidity of the decision” to limit trucks to right lane of I-10
- OOIDA questions priority FMCSA puts on speed-limiters, under-21s
9. Regarding technology, training, and shortage:
- 5 Steps to Avoid Common Mistakes When Implementing In-Cab CamerasThis article actually lists “6” steps, the two that I like the most being “Obtain Driver Buy-In” and “Celebrate Positive Videos.”
- Emerge Benchmarking compiles real-time freight data for smarter procurement
- Arkansas Trucking Association awards scholarships to 3 state seniors
- How to obtain a CDL if you can’t afford trucking schoolQuote: “One option sometimes overlooked by aspiring truck drivers is dock-to-driver programs, which can be a steppingstone for someone who may have trouble affording school and who is looking for either local trucking jobs or linehaul work.”Whichever option you take, be sure that you don’t put yourself in a position of being exploited.
- Northeast Iowa Community College begins new CDL program this month
- Senators to Hutcheson: What’s FMCSA Doing About Driver Shortage?
- What Coercion Complaints Tell Us About the Truck Driver Shortage
10. Regarding supply chain, scales, and politics:
- Can supply chain decision-making be automated?
- Diversity initiatives at supply chain companies now a recruitment tool
- Gartner expert: Supply chains can thrive even amid disruption
- How Trucking Industry Trends Impact Supply Chain, Industrial Development
- IBM exec: Every day in the supply chain has a black swan
- Logistics is now wagging the supply chain tail
- Retail supply chains need bold ideas, research analyst finds
- Supply chain exec’s advice: Don’t get sucked in by the day-to-day
- A step-by-step look at how drivers can save time at weigh scalesFor CAT Scales, its a matter of using their app with the correct connections.
It does no good to blame an industry for something that is politically driven.
- Biden Pushes to Lower Ocean Shipping Costs
- Biden slams shipping companies ahead of Port of Los Angeles speech
11. Regarding capacity, containers, and parking:
- Boom times not over yet: US container ports still near highs
- Container shipping data shows US demand for imports is falling hard
- Trucking faces more exposure as container volumes drop: FreightWaves’ Fuller
- ATRI seeks parking feedback from operators in Midwest | I-20 closures this week
- House Leaders Call for Truck Parking Funding
- House T&I leaders urge DOT to address truck parking
- Truck drivers’ opinions sought in Midwest parking survey
- Truck parking emphasized during House hearing
- Truck Parking Information Management System input needed
- Truck parking wait times could be fixed by ‘better planning,’ claims PR exec
12. Regarding awards:
Congratulations to all of those who will be nominated for and/or win an award for driving skills and excellence!
- FedEx Freight driver wins Alabama driving competition for second time
- Nomination period for Transition Trucking award now openQuote: “Transition Trucking is accepting nominations for its 2022 Driving for Excellence Award.”
My husband Mike and I wish you — and all professional truck drivers — safe travels and lots of money saving opportunities on the road.