This “Restaurant Review Petro New Jersey Bordentown” is a review of the Iron Skillet Restaurant at the Petro Stopping Center in Bordentown, NJ, USA, based upon our own expectations of what a restaurant that caters to professional truck drivers of commercial motor vehicles should be like — as well as our own preferences in foodstuffs.
Restaurant Review Petro New Jersey Bordentown
Location: Petro Stopping Center, Bordentown, NJ, I-295, exit 57; NJ Turnpike, exit 7
Overall Facility: Petro New Jersey Bordentown
- There is an area for diners just inside the restaurant (usually populated by professional truck drivers) and plenty of seating in the back past the buffet.
- A buffet is featured nightly with meats, vegetables, soup, salad items and desserts.
- On certain nights, a stir fry buffet is featured. It was on the night we came through.
- Diners may order from the menu.
Pros: Restaurant Review Petro New Jersey Bordentown
- The stir fry bar was attended live by a cook who fixed dishes fresh from ingredients clearly visible on the table and from which diners could choose. We both ate shrimp and vegetable stir fry; Mike had his fixed with sweet and sour sauce and Vicki had hers fixed with soy sauce. Diners could choose between having a bed of rice or noodles for their stir fry dishes if they chose. There were also spring rolls (like egg rolls) available. The chef was quickly working through orders. (Incidentally, diners could deposit an additional tip in the designated spot for the stir fry chef.)
- There was plenty of just about everything on the other bars (salad bar, hot bar, soup, carved ham, breads and desserts) when we came through.
- Mike’s second plate contained baked chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, chicken teriyaki and French bread.
- Vicki got a salad with lettuce, carrot sticks, celery sticks, cherry and grape tomatoes, cucumber slices, shredded cheddar cheese, diced hard boiled egg and cottage cheese. She also got a roll.
- Mike’s third plate contained beef tips and mashed potatoes. Vicki also got smaller portions of both.
- For dessert, Mike got two pieces of German Chocolate Cake and rice pudding. We both very much enjoyed the cake. Vicki remarked that she could taste the coconut in the frosting (a true mark of the dessert).
- Although initially delayed in getting to our table, our waitress, Anna, proved very attentive, making sure that our needs were met. She brought an extra pitcher of water with our drinks and brought extra napkins without being asked.
Cons: Restaurant Review Petro New Jersey Bordentown
- The stir fry, in Vicki’s opinion, was a bit on the salty side. That could have been due to the oil and butter the ingredients were cooked in or the soy sauce put in her dish near the end.
- Vicki further noted that the gravy on the beef tips was a bit salty.
- Mike first remarked (and Vicki agreed) that the potatoes tasted a little flat. Adding a dash of salt or mixing them with the gravy from the beef tips would certain add some zap.
- The cost of the stir fry buffet on this night was $12.99 each, a bit pricey.
Photos: Restaurant Review Petro New Jersey Bordentown
The stir fry buffet at the Petro Iron Skillet Restaurant in Bordentown, NJ.
Notice the ingredients, burners, sauces, and chef.
Our two plates of custom-made stir fry, hot out of the pan, from the stir fry buffet at the Petro Iron Skillet at Bordentown, NJ.
Both of our stir fry mixes were on a bed of rice. Mike had two spring rolls; Vicki had one.
Mike’s second plate of entrees and vegetables at the Petro Iron Skillet in Bordentown, NJ.
Vicki’s plate of salad items, with a roll on the side, at the Petro Iron Skillet in Bordentown, NJ.
Mike’s portion of beef tips and mashed potatoes at the Petro Iron Skillet in Bordentown, NJ.
Vicki also had a smaller portion of each foodstuff.
Mike’s dessert at the Petro Iron Skillet Restaurant in Bordentown, NJ.
On the left are two pieces of German chocolate cake and on the right is rice pudding.
Overall grade for this restaurant at this facility on a scale of A+ to F- (with A+ being the best, F- being the worst): A-