This is the TDMST Weekly Round-Up of news affecting professional truck drivers, written by Vicki Simons for the week ending August 7, 2021.
We welcome your comments, thoughts and feedback on the items of your choice below.
1. Regarding COVID-19 and events:
It is a violation of bodily autonomy for anyone to be coerced or forced to receive a medical intervention.
According to an August 6, 2021, article, between Dec. 14, 2020 and July 30, 2021, “VAERS [Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System] data released… by the CDC showed a total of 545,338 reports of adverse events from all age groups following COVID vaccines, including 12,366 deaths and 70,105 serious injuries.”
Before you receive an experimental injection into your body that has the potential to cause harm or death, please do your due diligence.
Remember this part of what is written in the Declaration of Independence:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,
In my opinion, any company whose leadership thinks more highly of coercing employees than respecting them as individuals does not deserve them.
- Amazon’s Dilemma: Mandating Vaccinations Would Risk Losing Workers
- Vaccine Mandate Arrives to Trucking as Mega Private Fleet Requires Truckers to Get The Jab
- Worse than the disease? Mandated vaccines in trucking may lead to employee, recruitment losses
I am glad to read that trucking events are now being planned.
- 3 big truck shows remaining in 2021
- Registration Opens for 2021 HD Repair Forum
- Truck shows, related gatherings continue despite COVID surge
2. Regarding bridge, roads, and mudslides:
- ALERT: All Lanes Reopened on I-40 Mississippi River Bridge in Memphis
- All lanes of Memphis I-40 bridge are officially OPEN
- Full-court press’: Trucking industry relieved I-40 bridge repairs almost done
- I-40 bridge between Arkansas and Tennessee fully reopens
- I-40 bridge eastbound officially reopens
- I-40 Bridge Linking Arkansas, Tennessee Reopens
- Interstate 40 Mississippi River Bridge in Memphis Now Partially Open
- Westbound traffic to roll over I-40 bridge between Tennessee and Arkansas today
If you are planning to travel through the Glenwood Canyon in Colorado on I-70, you will need to make other plans until this situation is corrected.
- Glenwood Canyon mudslides force state disaster declaration
- Hot Shots: Mudslides, floods, wildfires and more
- I-70 in Glenwood Canyon, Colo., shut down indefinitely
- Lengthy detours for truckers after I-70 through Glenwood Canyon closes indefinitely
- Mud and Rock Slides Force Indefinite Closure of Stretch of I-70 in Colorado
- Mudslides Close 46 Miles of I-70 in Colorado
- Mudslides close stretch of I-70 in Colorado; truckers advised to detour north on I-80 through Wyoming
- Part of I-70 in Colorado remains closed by mudslides
- Severe mudslides trigger I-70 closure in Colorado
- Truckers warned to stay off Independence Pass during I-70 closure
3. Regarding electric vehicles, autonomous vehicles, automation, and emissions:
If you drive a Commercial Motor Vehicle that is all electric — and you used to drive one powered by diesel — we’d like to connect with you.
Please contact us through the form below.
- Can ‘Electric Highways’ Help with Zero Emissions Truck Goals?
- Electric Peterbilt cruises through Washington, Cruz climbs in
- Electrified Fleets Could Save 37-44% in Energy Costs
- EVs for all: What Biden’s executive order means for gig economy
- GM to bring electric cargo van, medium-duty truck to market
- Hyliion plans bigger battery to stay relevant in electric truck race
- Meritor announces electrification partnerships with Hino and Hyliion
- SEA Electric Puts Commercial Trucks Onto a Cleaner Path
- Why Southern California Is the New EV Mecca
I am totally opposed to vehicles being operated completely by machine, including those called autonomous, self-driving, or driverless, but I am including these articles to help you stay current on the topic.
- Arrival and its automated driving system reach major milestone
- Company demos driverless truck tech in traffic without a human safety driver in ‘significant milestone’
- Plus completes 20-mile driverless demo on public road in China
- Plus demonstrates truly driverless truck on Chinese highway
- Truck Talk: Autonomous hitching edition
This move is made in the name of “the environment” or to combat “greenhouse gases” or so-called “climate change,” so please be aware of the stakeholders, both political and financial.
- Automakers to Join Biden on Emission Cuts, EV Sales Goals
- Biden calls for 50% zero-emissions vehicle sales by 2030
- Biden calls for tighter emissions standards, electric vehicle leadership
- Biden Calls for Tighter Truck Emissions Regulations
- California slaps trucking company with $2.38 million settlement after accusations of faking emissions compliance
- DOE Awards $60 Million for Zero-Emission Truck, Car Projects
- EPA to Update NOx, Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards
4. Regarding employment, I/C, pay, economy, shortage, recruiting, and retention:
- Behind employment numbers: OTR lags general freight; truck transportation cost growth slows
- Jobless Claims Down 14,000 to 385,000
- Should Truckers Stick with Companies that Practice Sustainable Hiring?
- US Added 943,000 Jobs in July
As of this writing, the PRO Act may be part of a larger “infrastructure” bill (or bills).
If you desire to do so, “Oppose Unconstitutional, Anti-Free Enterprise PRO Act.”
- Employment and wages continue to grow in trucking industry
- Truckers Need More Than Better Pay
- ‘Who doesn’t want to be part of something special in trucking?’: Family-owned company looks ahead to 50 years by reimagining driver pay
- Will throwing money at drivers solve the trucker shortage problem? — RetailWire
These are some of the most recent articles about the economy from the trucking industry’s perspective.
- Auto Production Woes Cast Shadow on Economic Indicators
- Class 8 Orders Remain Steady in July
- Class 8 Orders Steady in July
- Daily Infographic: Top commodities by weight and value
- Holding pattern: July Class 8 truck orders hide underlying demand
- Medium-duty orders surge to sixth best month ever: ACT
- Moving volumes smoothly: TRAC Intermodal CEO’s 3 keys
- Postal Service reports $3 billion year-on-year loss
- Trade Deficit Hits Record $75.7 Billion in June
Articles listed below gives a clue about how trucking jobs vacated by Americans may be filled.
- Driver Shortage Has Trucking Companies Looking Abroad
- Freight Outfits Tap Immigrant Truck Drivers Due to Increase in Driver Jobs
- Lack of labor hurting food production, cold storage throughput: Americold
- Modern recruiting in a driver shortage — Taking the Hire Road
- Nikola slowed by chip shortages, but work to produce trucks continues
- 3 Top Things Trucking Industry Leaders Can Do To Improve Driver Retention
- Driver Subcommittee points to pay, working conditions as ways to improve retention
5. Regarding accident, near miss, drugs, and smuggling:
Please review these articles to gain insight on how to prevent being involved in a similar accident yourself.
- Five dead after semi crash with SUV; family says trucker had heart attack
- Gas tanker truck driver killed after plunge off ramp triggers explosion, fire
- Hair-raising semi crash causes ‘severe backups’ in Salt Lake City
- Preliminary report shows tractor-trailer triggered I-65 crash that killed 10 in Alabama
- Semi hauling aerosol deodorant cans explodes at Oklahoma truck stop
- Trucker’s Medical Emergency Reportedly Led to Crash Killing Five People
- Two Truckers Could Face Charges in Horrific Fiery Crash That Left 10 Dead, NTSB Says
- Watch as the driver of a runaway car hauler blares horn to warn people before crashing
There will always be impatient drivers who take unnecessary risks, so please be wise in driving around them.
Never, ever agree to haul illegal drugs, no matter how much you are offered.
If you believe you’re the victim of a drug-hauling scam, seek the advice of a competent trucking attorney.
- Border agents find cocaine hidden in truckload of watermelons, peppers
- Canadian trucker accused of smuggling 69 pounds of cocaine in her load of watermelons and peppers
- Canadian trucker freed; says he’s victim of marijuana scam
- Canadian Trucker Likely to Face Charges After She Was Busted Smuggling Cocaine
- CBP seizes cocaine hidden in watermelons, peppers headed to Canada
- Immigrant Trucker Declares ‘Justice’ Served After Feds Drop Charges in $3.2M Drug Bust
- Pot bust charges dismissed against Canadian trucker
- Trucker High on Meth and Fentanyl Pleads Guilty in Deadly Wrong-Way Crash
- Woman caught with cocaine in truck at border
Never, ever agree to haul human beings like they are livestock, no matter how much of an incentive you are promised.
- Trucker Changes His Story and Admits to Smuggling More Than 100 Illegal Migrants
- Woman who recruited truckers for human smuggling scheme sentenced to federal prison
6. Regarding border, broker, capacity, rates, taxes, and tolls:
- Canada border officers begin job action as slowdown hits trucking
- Canada border officers to begin work slowdown
- Daily Infographic: What will the reopening of the Canadian border mean for freight?
- Miles-long big rig backups reported as Canadian border patrol goes on work slowdown
- Updated: Trucks stuck at border as CBSA staff begin work action
- What will the reopening of the Canadian border mean for freight?
- Available loads increase as truck capacity tightens
- FMC’s Maffei says capacity demand won’t recede ‘until late 2022’
- A Bill That Proposes to Repeal the FET Could Aid the Industry in Purchasing New Trucks.
- Fuel tax rate increase ahead in Missouri Land Line State
- IRS reminds truckers that tax time is almost here
7. Regarding safety, regulations, conveyance, parking, truck, violence, staged, and load planning:
- FMCSA Fails To Meet Its Own Safe Truck Driver Policies
- How does Congress want to make trucking safe in 2022?
- OOIDA: Add only proven tech to vehicle safety technology definition
Amendment X to the Constitution of the United States reads:
“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”
Truck parking is therefore a matter that should never be decided on the federal level.
- OOIDA makes push to include truck parking in infrastructure plan
- OOIDA pushes for truck parking in infrastructure package
- The Truck Parking Zone — July 2021
- Truck parking amendment introduced to infrastructure bill
- VIDEO: Someone got a kitchen, a toilet, and a shower into this VolvoEven though not every truck is outfitted this way, there are ways to “create” something like it with a small kitchen, a portable toilet (link, link), and a “sink bath.”
- Motorist’s dash cam captures truck driver’s ‘intentional ramming’ attempt, hammer threatNo matter how much someone is irritating you on the road, never engage in road rage.
- Flatbed carrier puts load planning in drivers’ handsIt is wonderful that at least one trucking company is empowering their drivers with tools to help plan their own loads!
8. Regarding discrimination, distraction, health, and HOS:
- 10 Clear Indications Truckers Are Not Welcome In OntarioLaws differ by country, so please be aware of the implications of crossing the border.
Always practice safe driving and never set yourself up for distracted driving.
Remember, as a trucker, you are being paid to safely drive a truck, not be entertained.
- Cops call out truckers for watching movies behind the wheel, 14 violations on hazmat truck, DUI, & dangerous distraction
- Distracted driving: What drivers who crash are looking at
- 3 Top Truck Driver Health Concerns and How to Prevent ThemWe address reversing waistline creep, health and wellness, and stress relief on our site.
- 3 more states waive targeted hours-of-service rules for 30 days
- Iowa waives hours of service, weight regs for fuel haulers
- Iowa waives hours, weight regulations for fuel haulers
9. Regarding technology, dash cam, drones, and ELDs:
- ABS Semi-Truck Systems: How They Can Sometimes Take Control from the Driver.
- ATRI Assessment Tool Shows Promise for Identifying Safe, Younger Drivers
- Technology on the road: Electronics make the job easier but can be less safe
- VIDEO: Get a closer look at that wild Teton Pass runaway truck arrestor test using a 58K pound sand truck going 60 MPH
It has never been more important to have a truck cam installed in your truck to protect yourself legally.
Please be aware of this technology and the implications that it has for the trucking industry.
I have openly opposed mandatory ELDs in trucks, but if they can help you save money, use the technology to its utmost.
- 3 Reasons Why ELDs Have Improved Trucking Logistics
- Electronic recordkeeping: Are you falling behind?
- White Paper: ELD Reliability
10. Regarding fuel, fuel economy, and inspections:
- After a decline, DOE/EIA weekly diesel price heads higher again
- DAT, Comdata Partner on Fuel Card for Small Fleets
- Diesel Rises 2.5¢ to $3.367 a Gallon
- Diesel up more than 2 cents nationally
- Iowa suspends regulations for fuel haulers Land Line
- Natural gas truck sales climb but infrastructure losing ground
- Using natural gas as alternative fuels ? Net-Zero Carbon
- Weekly Fuel Report: August 3, 2021
- What is the DOE Hydrogen Energy Earthshots Initiative?
- Biden Seeks to Boost Fuel EconomyThe Constitution of the United States does not grant the Executive Branch of the federal government the power to make these statements.
Be ready for an inspection at any time and you will never be surprised.
- CVSA 2021 Roadcheck: Most Trucks Had No Violations
- HOS violations account for almost half of driver out-of-service orders during CVSA’s International Roadcheck
- Inspectors Remove 6,710 CMVs, 2,080 Drivers During Roadcheck
- More Than 2,000 Drivers and 6,700 Vehicles Sidelined During CVSA’s 3-Day Blitz
- Nearly 8800 trucks and drivers taken out of service during the year’s biggest blitz
- Roadcheck inspections ground 27.2% of Canadian vehicles
- Roadcheck Week results: HOS violations a bigger share of all citations
- Three day semi truck ‘safety’ blitz starts today in more than a dozen states
- Three-Day CMV Enforcement Blitz Happening This Week in These 13 States
- U.S. Roadcheck results: 4,136 vehicles & 1,083 drivers placed out of service
- Well over 80% of vehicles passed in International Roadcheck 2021
11. Regarding intermodal, ports, Prepass, and protests:
12. Regarding award:
Congratulations to all truckers who have been recognized and/or rewarded for their achievements or skill!
- Driverless Semi Reaches Milestone, Plus Says
- Tennessee carrier says thanks to its employees
- The Log Book: Walmart honors driver in Every Day Heroes program
- Walmart truck driver celebrates an astonishing 4 MILLION safe miles
My husband Mike and I wish you — and all professional truck drivers — safe travels and lots of money saving opportunities on the road.