This is the TDMST Weekly Round-Up of news affecting professional truck drivers, written by Vicki Simons for the week ending February 26, 2022.
We welcome your comments, thoughts and feedback on the items of your choice below.
1. Regarding Freedom Convoy 2022 and The People’s Convoy:
Freedom Convoy 2022 (Canada)
The situation in Canada — particularly the capital city, Ottawa — became very tense, especially during the time when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called for enforcement of the Emergency Act regarding those in the convoy and their supporters.
Of all of the articles I’ve read about how quickly and surprisingly the Emergency Act ended, this one makes the most sense to me:
BOOM, Trudeau Reversal Motive Surfaces – Canadian Banking Association Was Approved by World Economic Forum To Lead the Digital ID Creation.
Be aware that credit cards and bank accounts can be frozen — and that your location can be tracked using your cell phone.
Here are some of the most recent articles about the Freedom Convoy 2022:
- Canadian police clear Parliament street to end siege
- Charges Against Two Top Freedom Convoy Organizers Revealed
- Extent of trucker convoy participants unclear as media, organizers present conflicting numbers
- Freedom Convoy Organizer Stumps Reporter By Asking Very Simple Question
- Global Support Grows For Canada Trucker Freedom Convoy
- Judge Denies Bail to Freedom Convoy President Citing ‘Safety and Protection of the Public’
- MTO grounds trucking businesses involved in ‘Freedom Convoy’ protests
- Ontario orders 12 truck operators out of service over Freedom Convoy protest
- Ottawa crackdown: police arrest 100 after 3-week protest
- Ottawa Mayor Pushing to ‘Confiscate and Sell’ Big Rigs Towed Away During Crackdown
- Police clear Freedom Convoy truckers, supporters from Ottawa
- Police clear Ottawa of protesters, vehicles during tumultuous weekend
- Trucking Group Speaks Out Against Trudeau’s ‘Tyrannical Inhumane Abuse’ of Truckers
- Trucks Towed, Protesters Arrested as Ottawa Slowly Clears
- WATCH: Freedom Convoy Organizer Leaves Reporter Stumped With a Simple Question
- WATCH: Mounted Police Unit Tramples Protesters During Enforcement Operation in Ottawa
The People’s Convoy
In a manner similar to the one that the Canadian truckers stood for freedom and liberty, a group of American truckers have started a convoy from California to Washington, DC, this week.
On Monday, February 21, 2022, I emailed The People’s Convoy because I felt compelled to share info with them for their safety and protection.
Here is part of what I shared:
[James Lamb, president of the Small Business in Transportation Coalition (SBTC)] makes reference to the Hobbs Act: 18 U.S. Code §1951, which makes a crime punishable by a fine or imprisonment not more than twenty years, or both:
Whoever in any way or degree obstructs, delays, or affects commerce or the movement of any article or commodity in commerce, by robbery or extortion or attempts or conspires so to do, or commits or threatens physical violence to any person or property in furtherance of a plan or purpose to do anything in violation of this section…
Also, an organization to which my husband Mike and I belong — which has been fighting for constitutional government for over 60 years — has produced a couple of videos that would be well worth your time to watch:
So, in other words, do not make yourself a target who could wind up involved in another Jan. 6-style injustice.
Here are some of the most recent articles about The People’s Convoy in the USA:
- 700 National Guard Troops Deployed in Preparation For Trucker Convoys to D.C.
- Convoy in the USA
- Fences, National Guard among preparations as DC looks towards approaching Trucker Convoy
- National Guard to help DC control traffic for truck convoys
- Organizers release 11 day U.S. convoy route from California to D.C. Beltway
- People’s Convoy’ begins rolling to Washington with message against COVID restrictions
- Truck convoy to Washington, D.C. set to begin Wednesday
- Truck traffic plunged during Canada-U.S. border blockades
- Trucker Convoy departs California heading to Washington, D.C
- Truckers Leading Convoy to D.C. Unveil 11-Day Route Plan, NOT Going to Capitol or White House
- Truckers Planning Convoy to Washington, D.C. Release Start Date, Location and Initial Route
- Truckers Roll Out on 11-Day Nationwide Convoy to Nation’s Capital
- U.S. Congressman Calls For Seizing Big Rigs Belonging to Truckers Convoying to D.C.
- U.S. Convoy aims to end national emergency COVID declaration
- U.S. DOT Sec. Pete Buttigieg Calls For Gov’t Crackdown on Freedom Convoy
- U.S. Lawmaker Likens Canadian Truckers to ‘Political Prisoners,’ Introducing Bill to Grant Asylum
- U.S., Canada Teamsters Bosses Denounce Truck Driver Protest
- Washington may reinstall Capitol fence ahead of trucker convoy
- What’s Really Driving U.S. ‘Trucker Convoys’ to DC? [Commentary]
2. Regarding COVID-19:
Based on what I’ve read, a number of the face mask mandates and jab mandates associated with COVID-19 have been relaxed or eliminated altogether.
However, do not let down your guard because I’ve been reading about other potential pathogen releases such as @IDS and sm@llp0x that may be planned with even deadlier outcomes and even more freedoms stripped from the people.
Remember this section of the Declaration of Independence:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,
No matter where you travel, it is best to stay fit, healthy, and strong — and keep your immune system boosted.
- Biden, Trudeau asked to reinstate truck drivers’ cross-border vaccine exemption
- Bills introduced in Congress would end Biden’s cross-border vax mandates for truckers
- Lawmakers introduce bill to exempt Canadian and Mexican truckers from vaccine requirements
- Officials ask U.S. and Canada to end cross-border vaccination mandate
- Truckers Act would grant drivers cross-border vaccine exemption –
3. Regarding accidents, weather, and deaths:
Please look at these articles and endeavor not to repeat the truckers’ mistakes.
- CHP issues runaway ramp reminder following I-5 crash
Based on the way I read this article, the trucker didn’t use the runaway ramp, but ended at the bottom of a ravine.
- Driver inattention blamed for collision with train
What do you need to do in order to make sure that you’re staying attentive and alert to the job of driving while you’re behind the steering wheel?
- Semi truck accidentally leaves 50,000 pound concrete slab behindQuote: “According to KMBC News, the massive slab of concrete was on the back of a truck on its way to a construction site when it fell off the trailer due to ‘mechanical failure.'”
So, what kind of “mechanical failure” can account for losing a 50,000-pound concrete slab off one’s truck?
How can this type of accident be prevented in the future?
- VIDEO: Trucker swerves to avoid head-on crash with car, causing terrifying rollover
I’ve written about the problems associated with swerving in the past, but I think this is the first time that I’ve ever seen a video of a truck swerving, leading to a rollover accident.
There were many, many news articles about bad winter weather this past week.
You may wish to review these pages from our site:
- Refuse to Drive a Truck When These Situations Happen
- Whistle Blowing Truckers: STAA Law on Retaliation, Vindication
- Captain of the Ship Policy and Unsafe Working Conditions
Please exercise extreme caution whenever you travel in snow-, ice- or squall-prone areas.
- Drivers warned to hunker down as icy winter storm hits northern Wisconsin
- Illinois Tollway prepared for rush hour snowfall
- North Texas officials “really didn’t” expect road conditions to deteriorate so quickly as list of accidents continues to grow
- NWS: Icy storm means “travel could be nearly impossible” in Oklahoma through Thursday evening
- PennDOT issues truck travel restrictions ahead of winter storm
- Powerful storm creates dangerous travel conditions
- Snow moves into Northeast, a foot possible in many areas
- Snow squall causes 50 vehicle pile-up after conditions went ‘from good to bad in a matter of seconds’
- Tips for truckers: How to weather a snow squall
- VIDEO: This is exactly why you need to slow down in reduced visibility situations
I am grieved every time I learn of someone who has lost his or her life in — or as a result of — a trucking accident.
Our condolences go to the families of those who died.
As it concerns the trucker who accidentally ran over his team member, there has got to be a simple and inexpensive way for the trucker in the sleeper berth to let the driving trucker know that he/she is out of the sleeper berth.
Perhaps pulling the sleeper berth curtains wide open or mounting in a conspicuous place a piece of Velcro such that a reversible sign could be affixed to it, one side reading “IN” and the other side reading “OUT” would be potential options (see products listed below).
- Dash cam video shows crash that claimed truck driver’s life on Wolf Creek Pass
- Driver run over by fellow trucker after running out of fuel on side of road
- Federal Data: Trucking Remains One of the Deadliest Jobs
- Fellow trucker’s report of “foul odor” leads to discovery of long-deceased driver
- Officer’s death, marijuana use lead to driver being banned
- One dead after trucker tries to drive away, unaware her passenger was checking rig for damage
- REPORT: Death investigation underway at Florida truck stop
- Trucker identified after being crushed between double trailers
These items are available from Amazon.com, with which we have an affiliate relationship.
4. Regarding supply chain, economy, selling, pay, and inflation:
- 2021 commercial vehicle markets strong on demand, constrained by supply chains
- ATA Truck Tonnage Index increased 0.6% in January
- ATA: Truck Tonnage Rises in January
- Consumer Confidence Drops to Five-Month Low in February
- Cross-border truck freight reaches record high last year
- Gas, Grocery Price Hikes Spur States to Pursue Tax Relief
- I-35, Waco one of the slowest freight routes in the country, experts say
- January truck sales down nearly 40% from December
- Key Inflation Gauge Hit 6.1% in January
- Stocks tumble; oil, wheat prices soar after Ukraine attack
- Truck tonnage continues climb
- Truck Tonnage Extends Streak of Gains in January
- Truckload Sector Sees Continued Strength in Q4
- US Slightly Revises Up its GDP Estimate for Q4 to 7%
- Vehicle Inventory and Use Survey returns after 20-year hiatus
None of these articles constitutes an endorsement of a trucking company for which to go to work.
- Cargo Transporters raises driver pay again
- DOT vulnerability report highlights truck driver pay, urges ocean shipping reform
- NC dry van carrier announces largest driver pay increase in its history
5. Regarding autonomous vehicles, electric vehicles, batteries, fuel, and emissions:
I totally oppose all autonomous, driverless, and self-driving autonomous commercial motor vehicles on the roads with the motoring public, but I share these articles as a courtesy.
- Autonomous trucks being tested by Waymo, C.H. Robinson
- C.H. Robinson, Waymo Plan Autonomous Trucking Tests
- Daily Infographic: TuSimple will make driverless testing permanent en route to commercialization
- How transportation companies can leverage AI to automate inspection and tracking tasks
- Knight-Swift to equip trucks with Embark’s autonomous truck tech
- Trucking Beating Robotaxis in Race to Autonomous Driving
- TuSimple Agrees to US Oversight, Concluding Probe
- US takes limited oversight of TuSimple as foreign investment probe ends
- AJR Trucking, MDB Transportation place largest Kenworth EV order to date
- EVs just became more accessible than ever
- Ford CEO Farley: No Plan to Spin Off EV Business
- Kenworth Receives Its Largest Order to Date for BEVs
- Nikola Projects Delivering 300 to 500 Electric Trucks This Year
- TMC to Tackle Electrification in First Post-COVID Annual Meeting
- Biden Wants to Cut Into China’s Electric Battery Dominance
Oh, really? This will be the first time that I’ve heard that Mr. Biden stood up to the Chinese.
- Nikola projects production of 300-500 battery-electric trucks in 2022
- Solar panels to help charge batteries on 67 DHL Express trucks
If you have one or more solar panels on your tractor or trailer, would you please contact us through the form below to let us know how much it has saved you since it was installed? Thanks.
- Analyst: Expect fuel prices to shoot up in wake of Russian invasion of Ukraine
- And now it’s 2013: DOE/EIA diesel price rises to level of 9 years ago
- Average diesel prices continue to climb
- Biofuel Maker Renewable Energy Explores Sale Options
- Daily Infographic: EIA projects accelerating renewable consumption and steady liquid fuels growth to 2050
- Diesel Rises 3.6¢ to $4.055 in Seventh Straight Increase
- Explosion, Fire Rock Marathon’s Huge Louisiana Refinery
- Fuel tax relief pursued in at least 10 states
- Hydra Energy welcomes provincial budget initiatives promoting hydrogen
- Oil Pulls Back From $100
- Oil Soars Past $100 After Russia Attacks Ukraine
- On-highway diesel fuel prices on the rise
- On-Highway Diesel Price Soars to 9-Year High With No Easing In Sight
- Proposed tax on WA fuel exports angers neighboring states
- Rocky Mountain States to Team Up on Hydrogen Tech
- Soaring Diesel, Gas Prices Bleed Into Shipping
- Ukraine fallout: Diesel surges more than crude before falling back
- Ukraine Invasion: Higher Fuel Prices Likely, Cyber Attacks Could Affect Supply Chains
- California Approves New Transport Refrigeration Emissions Rules
- DHL Uses Solar Panels to Reduce Emissions
- EPA setting new truck emission standards
- EPA Slams USPS Plan for Mostly Gas-Powered Mail Trucks
6. Regarding drugs, alcohol, and health:
Never ever haul illegal drugs since being caught could cost a lot financially and lead to loss of your freedom.
- Big Rig Arriving From Mexico Busted Hauling $19 MILLION Load of Drugs
- CBP officers seize over $18M in meth at Pharr International Bridge
- Georgia DPS’s tongue-in-cheek social media post warns of alcohol dangers
- Officers seize nearly $19 million worth of meth at Texas border crossing
BAC = Blood Alcohol Content.
7. Regarding operations, regulations, politics, business, rude, and speed traps:
No matter what kind of tractor you drive or what kind of trailer you haul, always do those things that make for good operations.
- Tips for Inspecting Tie-down Devices
- VIDEO: Friendly reminder to set your brakes before hitting the hay tonight
- Owner-op award finalist team builds success with smart business
- Show me the money! Studying financial reports provides an overview of the health of the trucking industry
- WATCH: Driver hucks drink at motorist who didn’t give him room to turn
This trucker was video recorded not only throwing something at another motorist, but also littering.
I expect that he may end up paying the price for his impetuous action later down the road.
8. Regarding inspections, insurance, and maintenance:
If you keep your tractor and trailer well-maintained, you’ll never fear a truck inspection.
- Arizona plans ‘major’ CMV enforcement blitz, starting Tuesday
- FMCSA Partners With Arizona CMV Inspectors on 4-Day Blitz
- International Roadcheck date set for May
- International Roadcheck slated for May 17-19
- International Roadcheck vehicle inspections set for May 17-19
- Operation Southern Shield set for Arizona highways
- Washington state set to kick off CMV safety blitz
- Washington troopers kick off commercial vehicle emphasis patrol on Tuesday
What do you think about data-driven insurance — or only that insurance that you use?
Please comment through the form below.
- ATRI Report Takes on Rising Trucking Insurance Costs
- New ATRI research evaluates motor carrier strategies for responding to rising insurance costs
- Nirvana Insurance launches data-driven insurance platform for trucking industry
- Safety Practices Can Offset Rising Insurance Rates
9. Regarding employment, trucking jobs, testing, and retention:
10. Regarding technology, theft, and safety:
- 3G Sunset Threatens Motor Carriers
- Are ELDs Responsible for Higher Crash Rates and More Risky Driving?
- AT&T 3G sunset will impact over 350,000 trucks
- Carrier Transicold Makes Telematics Standard on Reefer Units
- ELD manufacturers say they are ready for end of 3G
- Global logistics giant Expeditors suffers cyberattack, shuts down operations systems
- Webinar: How Fleets are Using Technology to Find and Keep Drivers
- Chase of stolen semi ends in blaze, teargas deployment, hail of gunfire
- Man arrested for stealing tractor trailer, kidnapping driver
- String of southeast Texas semi truck thefts appear to be connected, investigators say
- WATCH: Cops ‘catch suspects in UPS theft ring red handed’ at Atlanta truck stop
11. Regarding war:
Although the Old Testament king David was a mighty man, he undertook an action that brought God’s judgment upon him: a war of aggression.
Although this is a new resource for me, you may wish to see how wars of aggression in Bible times were punished.
I have raised the question about why Russia invaded Ukraine at this time.
- Biden Hits Russia With Sanctions, Says Putin ‘Chose’ War
- ICS: Do not let Ukrainian, Russian seafarers become ‘collateral damage’
- Shipping braces for impact as Russia-Ukraine crisis intensifies
12. Regarding awards:
We recognize those truckers who helped out their fellow human beings when they were in distress.
- Ailing trucking student survives thanks to trainer, trucker bystander
- All he wants to do is DRIVE: Minnesota’s 2021 driver of the year is just doing what he loves
- Briefly: Yellow adds 3 to hall of fame | Another plane and truck collision reported
- Calgary trucker Scholl named Highway Angel
- Idaho State Police thank motorist who reported big rig fire
- Two drivers recognized for aiding student who had heart attack behind the wheel
My husband Mike and I wish you — and all professional truck drivers — safe travels and lots of money saving opportunities on the road.